• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Zombi's Axial Yeti

Zombi

Finished things off today, ready for Sunday's trailing.

First off was to remove the front bulkhead and flip over the ring gear, plus give it all a clean and re-grease.  The marine grease i use really is good stuff. Despite being underwater several times, it helped repel the water and didn't wash away.  It had got a bit grimy though, no doubt coming in from the shaft input and outputs plus two holes (i'll explain shortly) in the bulkhead.  And when I tried to wash the insides of the bulkhead it was really quite difficult to get rid of, even with some Fairly Liquid!

eaoqms6.jpg

utYuJ3P.jpg
Qg9gV8j.jpg
CsBcWEs.jpg

Cleaned up, flipped over and re-greased

Lry3Atp.jpg
Exsqjpg.jpg

So about those two holes in the bulkhead. For some reason on the RTR, the two holes (which i can only assume are used by the EXO) are left open. If any of you have opened up your front diff and wondered why there's grit and muck in there, these are the culprits.

Bd1lsJb.jpg
uFNnUhM.jpg

In the kit manual, however, the instructions are to fill these holes with the provided M3x4mm grub screws. I've been meaning to do this for a while and got the screws from eBay.  

5sHp8Ls.jpg
AyCEyFd.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 2

The finally, the RR Gen 3 Slipper Unit.

Just as A.J predicted, I'm very impressed with this piece. The Axial stuff was good, but this is much better and justifies the cost.  With all the extra pieces to help support the spur, there's no wobble on it at all now.  The design is just superb and is all geared around a nice, stable spur gear.  Well done Mr. Robinson!

Here are all the stages going onto the upper shaft.

6DISU6M.jpg
qNdodLo.jpg
e7Nyh02.jpg
YeW7uOk.jpg
rJpMyzt.jpg
TDyJGeU.jpg

Just got to reverse the motor in Tekin Hotwire now and I'm sorted.

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1

that slipper looks the dogs!

I'm thinking of getting my wraith the GPM aly gearbox and covers and then "MIGHT AS WELL" get the RR gen 3 slipper... be rude not to!

Thanks for the good step by step pics!

• Like 1

Finished things off today, ready for Sunday's trailing.

First off was to remove the front bulkhead and flip over the ring gear, plus give it all a clean and re-grease. The marine grease i use really is good stuff. Despite being underwater several times, it helped repel the water and didn't wash away. It had got a bit grimy though, no doubt coming in from the shaft input and outputs plus two holes (i'll explain shortly) in the bulkhead. And when I tried to wash the insides of the bulkhead it was really quite difficult to get rid of, even with some Fairly Liquid!

P1030123_zps5607fcc9.jpg

P1030124_zpsb7b51361.jpg

P1030125_zpsdf5a1eb3.jpg

P1030126_zpsae420cb7.jpg

Cleaned up, flipped over and re-greased

P1030136_zps5a6b65a8.jpg

P1030137_zpsd227839d.jpg

So about those two holes in the bulkhead. For some reason on the RTR, the two holes (which i can only assume are used by the EXO) are left open. If any of you have opened up your front diff and wondered why there's grit and muck in there, these are the culprits.

P1030128_zps91420b4c.jpg

P1030130_zpsf5173f9b.jpg

In the kit manual (see below), however, the instructions are to fill these holes with the provided M3x4mm grub screws. I've been meaning to do this for a while and got the screws from eBay.

Bulkhead_zps6c7ec651.jpg

P1030133_zps10b58c5b.jpg

P1030140_zpsab4384f9.jpg

Checked mine this morning it would seem that axial are now fitting the grub screws as mine had them.

The pinion 0.8 module, 32 pitch and i would assume the same goes for the spur or I'd not be a happy chappy right now with some serious cogging going on.

EDIT: The spur is also .8 too.

vVVL1ai.jpg

Edited by Zombi

Well to be honest, it's meant for speed so I'm sure you could get it even faster. The RTR comes out of the box claiming to be able to hit 31mph.

With the right gearing, mainly just messing with the spur, pinion and diff ring gears, I've seen some of the American lot claiming to push 45mph+.  One of them reckoned he was up over 50mph, but he kinda got slated for talking BS, lol  :yes:

Checked mine this morning it would seem that axial are now fitting the grub screws as mine had them.

That's good to know. I guess it was just the really early units that didn't come with it then.

About the new slipper unit...

After a test run, I can see why in the instructions say tighten the retaining nut all the way down then back it off a bit.  I backed mine off a quarter turn and a tad more to be safe. From a standing start to full acceleration it was like it was lacking power, as it normally tried to up-end.

Then I tried to go over some steps I test it on and it seemed to struggle. Couldn't work it out then 5 mins later realised what i was hearing - the high pitch squeal of the slipper kicking in. Tightened it up more, and it still kicked in. More, and still did but less often. So I've tightened it all the way down and left it, and now it's back to normal.

Happy days.

• Like 1

Great trailing day today with the GOWTT boys, and I can report back no damage sustained (for a change!). The Currie and RR slipper unit are superb, a big thumbs up from me.  

Some pics below, and check out even more on today's trailing post in our section:

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/204282-sunday-8-feb-2015/

kP0w1WF.jpg
lJRd65j.jpg
BCcUAC5.jpg
F3UAZey.jpg
5R3UilZ.jpg
g0XHMT9.jpg
EWqhfiB.jpg
QFBlJg1.jpg
pif8MRB.jpg
lXoScg9.jpg
ECsk5I6.jpg
ELhYxjp.jpg
e8Jbj48.jpg
ZlxWu1L.jpg
UzPW7O3.jpg
xwqRiNC.jpg
DmGj0Ec.jpg
Cs57NpR.jpg
ucqwyDE.jpg
6KyUWFT.jpg
ue6ODML.jpg
Pag4MhZ.jpg
t4DfuxP.jpg
BjYBays.jpg
HnwRO8e.jpg
ga46oIF.jpg
51ll6pR.jpg
Qs1qZE3.jpg
uInuqhe.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 3

It is yeah :)

The slipper makes some crazy noise with the alum spur cover on there amplifying it all.  It's so loud it drowns out the noise of the Wraiths when we're all trundling along, lol.

And as you can see, the currie is just about the best juicy eye candy one could see on the back-end of a truck!  It's definitely been christened though; seeing the scratches on it was to be expected, but still breaks my heart  :xd:

Edited by Zombi

Thanks!

Yes it's a really good place for crawling; that stepped bit was ace. Towards the end of the day the weather was rather surreal. We saw a huge bank of cloud rolling down into the valley from the hill across from us, which then some time later came whooshing up towards us. It's what created those weird conditions for the "mood shots".... cloud at our level, but blue skies and sun above.

At that point we snapped away like crazy!

• Like 1

On my last trail day I decided that my front shocks were too soft.  I got good ride height out of them, but they just compressed too easily, so I've switched them to the next firmness up (yellow) and still kept the 90mm that usually go on the rear.

The ride height looks ok, but i won't know about how well they fair properly until i take it out and test it.

Y9BtnmR.jpg
zIfhum5.jpg
qR65Y1C.jpg
NvjC7CU.jpg
WKsxLmd.jpg

I also took the opportunity to re-oil them all, and when I took one of the front ones off it was sticking when being cycled. At first I thought it was a bent shock, but when I stripped it down I noticed tiny alum filings in there causing the piston to bind!  I think it was from the alum caps that I have, it must have had some loose shavings or something. Cleaned it all out and it works all right again.

Y6B8Lf5.jpg
uZAJGQZ.jpg

Edited by Zombi