• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Zombi's Axial Yeti

Zombi

Aye. Some folks have drilled it so they can use a counter-sunk screw. Sadly though I don't have that sort of kit to use so I've had to make do, but they're certainly thick enough.

I'm sure someone on here would be able to drill it for you.

• Like 1

Reckon it's possible to use a HSS countersink bit with a normal hand drill, or am i asking for trouble?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/countersink-hss-12mm-round-shaft/11311

It's perfectly possible, or if you'd rather have a better quality cutter, pm me pal ;)

More yummy goodness to replace the stock rubbish, this time the Axial motor mount, slipper plates and steel spur gear.  The build quality of the motor mount is superb, fits together perfectly.

vZj9URS.jpg
w3LBmtG.jpg
f5ODIM7.jpg
A3iknNz.jpg
leJbIe8.jpg
JOxS96v.jpg
J0sda4p.jpg
bignUfJ.jpg
VLaYMvh.jpg
WHLfigD.jpg
Ve5ED2k.jpg
dbHRWP3.jpg

Edited by Zombi

Absolutely lovely build Zombi. A testament to the hop up market for axial products.

The truck looks fantastic, how do you rate it box stock(with obvious better steel hex's), thinking I need to treat myself to something with a bashing capability as the TF2 and Wraith aren't up to it.

Absolutely lovely build Zombi. A testament to the hop up market for axial products.

The truck looks fantastic, how do you rate it box stock(with obvious better steel hex's), thinking I need to treat myself to something with a bashing capability as the TF2 and Wraith aren't up to it.

Why thank you, glad you're liking it.  As long as you get the FREE hub fix kit (linked below) you just can't fault this thing as a racer and general basher, it's superb for those purposes.  If you try doing crawling with it as stock you'll be plenty miffed as it just loves to thermal.

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/199518-zombis-axial-yeti/?p=2076745

You getting the two speed gear box?

I'd like to say "no", but i know i'm only kidding myself.  That's if they ever release it - we've been waiting a while now...

Why thank you, glad you're liking it.  As long as you get the FREE hub fix kit (linked below) you just can't fault this thing as a racer and general basher, it's superb for those purposes.  If you try doing crawling with it as stock you'll be plenty miffed as it just loves to thermal.

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/199518-zombis-axial-yeti/?p=2076745

I'd like to say "no", but i know i'm only kidding myself.  That's if they ever release it - we've been waiting a while now...

I'm sure I read that it was out already, that maybe in the USA.

Not released anywhere yet mate. The yanks on the crawler forum were whinging about it only yesterday.

I'm going to double-check though as you have me doubting myself now :P

Edited by Zombi

With some advice from young Mr. Banners I managed to get the job done using the HSS taper bit from Screwfix. It's not fully sunk in as the M3 hole was starting to get bigger, so I erred on the side of caution. Looking up the skid plate to see what others have done, they all seem to have had the same notion.  So unlike the unfortunate dwarves of Moria, I've avoided going too deep.

ymH8BGa.jpg
gwU2SyU.jpg
T1p9H0R.jpg
7rkse6x.jpg

Tekin gear laid out ready to be installed this week. I connected the ESC up and did all my settings.

RZGVIPJ.jpg
umYWH87.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More pics will come soon as I'll be soldering up the new electronics this weekend.  In the meantime though, i'm selling my Vanguard ESC and motor.

[Content removed. If you're selling stuff please use the sales section.]

EDIT: DONE. See here

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/202118-waterproof-vanguard-esc-and-motor-from-stock-axial-yeti/

Edited by Zombi

So it is available at Modelsport, but they're out of stock.  So I got mine straight from the UK distributor, it was really fast delivery too.

https://www.corrosion-x.co.uk/

The great thing is that with how much you need to use, this bottle will last a lifetime!

As for bravery, ha! I'm certainly not trailblazing on this front; i did a lot of research into it and this method was popular for it's ease of use and cleanliness. What sold it to me is the actual test Matt Horsley from SCUK did (he used CX then dunked all his electronics and had them running underwater) and the fact that Harley [Designs] uses it (from RCcrawler.com, a popular US forum).

Plus, i don't intend on taking too many risks with my elecs and go swimming with my Yeti; I just want it water tight in case it gets accidentally dunked.

Edited by Zombi