• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Zombi's Axial Yeti

Zombi

Full Specification & Latest Pic:

Electronics

Tekin RX8 Gen 3 ESC
Tekin Pro4 HD 3000kv Motor
Savox SB-2270SG Servo
Spektrum SR410 Receiver
Castle 10amp 9v BEC

Lighting
Vanquish Q-Series Spot Lights
Vanquish 4 inch Light Bar
Turnigy Remote Switch

Running Gear
Vanquish Method 105 2.2 (red)
Ottsix Voodoo U4
Crawler Innovations Double Deuce 5.5T with Medium Outer
Crawler Innovations Deuce's Wild Standard
Vanquish Method 105 2.2 (black)
Pro-line TSL Super Swamper XL
Crawler Innovations Double Deuce 6.0T with Medium Outer
Crawler Innovations Deuce's Wild Tall
Loaded Ox 1.250" Clamp Rings
Vanquish .350" Hubs (front)
Vanquish .725" Hubs (rear)
Vanquish Clamping Hexes

Suspension
Kyosho Triple Cap Velvet Coated Red Cap, with Loaded Ox 'Comp Caps' mod
Vanquish Titanium Camber Links (front)
Vanquish Titanium/Loaded Ox Steel Rear Upper Links
Vanquish Rear Trailing Arms
Axial Aluminium Shock tower & Body Post Mount
Kbess Limiting Straps
STRC Spring Retainers

Steering
Vanquish Titanium Steering Links
Vanquish Steering Rack
Vanquish Double Sheer Steering Posts
Vanquish Knuckles
Servo Saver Lockout
Axial 25T Servo Arm
Lunsford 4x35mm Titanium Turnbuckle

Transmission
Vanquish Centred Currie Axle
Loaded Ox "Jock Strap" Steel Skid Plate
MIP Rear Driver Shaft
Axial Aluminium Motor Mount
GPM Spur Gear Cover
GPM Spur Gear Cover Back Plate
Axial 38/13 HD Bevel Ring Gears
Vanquish Differential Locker (rear)
Robinson Racing Gen 3 Slipper Unit (64T Spur)
Robinson Racing Hardened Pinions (12T, 14T, & 16T)
GPM & Axial Universal CVDs
GPM Aluminium Front Bulkhead

Other
Vanquish Antirock Sway Bar
Wertymade Steel Bumper
AM Light Bar Cage
GPM Bumper Shock Absorber
GPM RX Compartment Cover
GPM Servo Mount Brackets
STRC Castors
STRC Front Kick-up Skid
STRC Bumper Mount
RPM A-Arms
AMF Aluminium Bonnet (hood)

spacer.png

-------------------------------------------

So I got my Yeti on the 15th Sept, as soon as it arrived in the UK at my local shop (I had it on pre-order). Since then I've not done much crawling with it, but I have hammered it good and proper at high speed with WRC style driving, maybe about 10 packs worth now.  

In this thread I'll share my experiences with it (a mixture of good and bad so far), any upgrades I do and have planned (I've got some Vanquish stuff coming from the US) and of course some pics!

Experience so far then has been enjoyable, although with a degree of disappointment - I shall explain in brief...

The good:  So i'm running it with a Thunderpower RC 5400mah 3S 35c battery, and it's like the proverbial poop leaving the shovel - very fast. It's great for rally-style driving over loose gravel as it power-slides yet still affords you control over it, and the noise it makes whilst doing so is superb.  On stable surfaces (like the B&Q carpark for example) it's not so fun to drive a it's got a lot of traction and tends to want to roll over far too often.  It goes up and down earth banks in my local woods with ease and makes light work of roots.

The bad: In short, the stock hubs and wheels are dreadful.  Shortly after i got it, I clipped a tree at a fair speed and tore off the rear right wheel, also destroying the hub at the same time. Well that was my fault I hear you say - true enough.  But then only hours ago tonight, the rear left hub shredded under the speedy maneuvers I was pulling and I lost the retaining pin. Pretty poor. It's a very common issue many of the US owners have reported, so much so that CKRC now offer this package to combat it:

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/product/YWF1+-+Yeti+Wheel+Hub+Fix+Kit

My other issue is that I've lost the screw which connects the front drive shaft to the transmission twice, as it's worked its way loose. The first time I guess it wasn't made tight enough by the factory and I missed it in my pre-first run checks. The second time, and even though i thread locked it, it worked its way loose during a pack.  I used some purple hobby grade thread lock, but now i've got some proper blue loctite which i'll use on all similar screws after i've cleaned them up.

So that's it for now, a practical review after nearly 2 weeks of use. Feel free to ask any questions about it, and I'll post some pics up below shortly.

https://i.imgur.com/FbRlciP.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7KtPF3D.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CABLbXy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aVyVVcx.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UCnZoVm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LH1gWjx.jpg

Edited by Zombi
Formatting & Pics
  • Like 1

I would like to know about the hinge pins, as on the Exo was plop and not the owl? Haha

Does that link send to the UK?

Hinge pins holding out so far, I hope you've not jinxed me ;)  And yeah they ship to the UK.  As I say, I'm getting the whole bunch of stuff directly from Vanquish, I'm just waiting for the titanium steering links to come back into stock.  I'll post up some links to the gear im after later.

Cheers for this, how are you finding the rear suspension arms? I hear they are also a weak point..

them hexes as you've said are well documented, very much like a cork screw eating away lol

and how are the stock tyres?

Rear suspension arms, do you meaning the trailing arms?  They're ok for now, but you can see that they've taken a lot of punishment. It's another thing I want from Vanquish, the aluminium ones.  Tyres seem alright too. The yanks report that they tend to lose their bead a bit too readily even with good beadlocks. We'll see when i get my new hubs.

Axial should have learnt from the wheels on the PS Wraith, they strip exactly the same and the use of VP SLW hubs is well known

Amen to that.

Holy cow 2 weeks of punishment and thats the hop up list !! hate to see what the 6 month will look like  :harhar:

I think axial should just release parts not trucks seems like they need almost a complete rebuild and repair out the box !   :shockingscary:

Love the looks not the quality.. :thumbsup:  

Lol aye, RTR means ready to replace ;)

To be fair, most of the above isn't critical, it's just me being frivolous. The only essential bits for me are the hubs and wheels as the stock are crap. I would have also ordered the vanquish trailing arms but they're out of stock. Mine are getting caned, so I'll need them sooner or later.

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1

And yet again, another rear hub knackered and the pin lost.  And so that puts me out of action for over a week now until my goodies show up.  Sad times.  :xd:

Basically, if you want to buy this car without having to upgrade it, you're fine as long as you drive it like a girl with manicured nails. If you want to get the most out of it and drive it like you have balls, you'll need to spend some dollars in the land of the free (aka the USA).

I just stuck cheap Traxxas hexs and pins on it and went with 3.8 Proline Badlands, awesome traction on nearly all surfaces and nice for jumping - I had heard of drive pins backing out too so I blue thread locked them all from the start. I've abused the crap out of mine at a BMX track and after about 6 packs on 3S I've no parts to replace....yet. It is however a bit sedate after a Traxxas Slash 4x4 on 3S, but I like how it handles for bad terrain days :D

I just stuck cheap Traxxas hexs and pins on it and went with 3.8 Proline Badlands, awesome traction on nearly all surfaces and nice for jumping - I had heard of drive pins backing out too so I blue thread locked them all from the start. I've abused the crap out of mine at a BMX track and after about 6 packs on 3S I've no parts to replace....yet. It is however a bit sedate after a Traxxas Slash 4x4 on 3S, but I like how it handles for bad terrain days :D

we need a picture with thoughts tires on it!

If only I'd known I'd have probs done the same as you with the hexes mate. I've used loctite on the threads now so hopefully they'll stay put, but i'm not sure how clean i got the slots beforehand so i'll probs end up losing more :/

Ideally i'd like to remove the driveshafts so i can clean the properly, but right now that ability is beyond me - anyone got any good guides on how to do that sort of stuff?

Ok so I'm all done, she's ready to roll again - in fact I took her out earlier and she ran like a dream. That Vanquish stuff really is top gear.  I still need to sort out my decals, they should get done in the next week or two.

Here are some before and after pics.

tWirN4m.jpg
jBPNm35.jpg
5PMFFIe.jpg
LFBRiVj.jpg
fEnW09A.jpg
ArRKPqU.jpg
7LcOWMI.jpg
mNrrqL9.jpg
lseu1RZ.jpg
1RQ5C96.jpg
dgKk316.jpg
LPW5U0E.jpg
rr94x6i.jpg
ABsHmbQ.jpg
jXWPp6k.jpg
MBADTdw.jpg
ZfXy4q7.jpg
MRVyMkM.jpg
OamHfdX.jpg
PTeRhL3.jpg
uc2BSir.jpg
5oi2LVP.jpg
6Q0IHtV.jpg
devUCCp.jpg
CdbVlDe.jpg
Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1

Thanks chaps, it certainly gives it a more ULTRA4 look than the stock body and gear.

So high on the upgrade list is a MIP rear driveshaft and VP trailing arms, due to the fact they're high wear items and it's only a matter of time before they go:

http://www.vanquishproducts.com/yeti-trailing-arms-black/

http://supershafty.com/drive-shafts-/371-mip-axial-yeti-rear-drive-shaft.html

Both out of stock at the moment. But when the come back in I'll swoop.