• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Can you handle the Vandal

jp79er

Got my first Kit car)I think the word `kit' is probably a lose term as its already prebuilt, apart from the rear wing. But thought I would do a little build thread as I can keep track of what I have done and where I take it...and most of all what I destroy...LOL

So like I said this is my fist ever kit and to start with I am going to donate the guts of my TAMCO raider to give it its first lease of life.....

I want this buggy for just day to day thrashing around parks, skate parks and a couple of local BMX tracks etc just for fun really. Don't think this will end up as a high speed machine, but the top end I want to give it is at least 40mph, and as I bash and break it the upgrades will come.

So here is the new little one:

20140924_134857_zpsexqtwvss.jpg

I tell you what compared to the Truggy, its as light a feather.....and my first thoughts:

1 - Tyres a re soft and quite squishy - have to see how they hold up.

2 - Suspension is super soft think it would bottom out very easily

3 - Under the body is a tight as a ducks, so it going to be quite a squeeze to get it all in there.

4 - Think the 3S is going batter it, but its going to go off like a rocket.. :)

5 - Chasssis tub feels very strong

6 - Suspension mouns feel weak

7 - Back body post is also weak....its not going to take much to break that bit....LOL

So what have I got to put in to it, nothing massively exciting but:

10kg TR Racing steering servo

3065KV 4 Pole BL Motor (Unbranded)

Hobbywing (WP-S10E-RTR) ESC 45a/220a

TR Racing Rx

Other bits I currently have:

3x3000mah 7.2v NiMH

1x3200mah 3s 20C LiPO

Ripmax Sigma Eq ECO 50W balance charger/discharger

It came with a 17T pinion in the box for a 3.2mm shaft, but have ordered a 23T Pinion from the FTX Vantage to put on which will need drilling out for a 5mm shaft. Will take some piccies and that when I am putting it all together... :)...The 23T pinion will bring it close to the gear ratio that I had with the truggy also....

Edited by jp79er

First thing to do is top the shocks up, they'll be underfilled from the factory. I've been running mine with an Xcar ESC and a 15 turn 550 can brushed combo on 2s and it's mad. 

20140816_161435-1.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^ The result of a full speed impact into a large post! Damage sustained by the Vandal? NOTHING  :thumbsup:

First thing to do is top the shocks up, they'll be underfilled from the factory. I've been running mine with an Xcar ESC and a 15 turn 550 can brushed combo on 2s and it's mad.

20140816_161435-1.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^ The result of a full speed impact into a large post! Damage sustained by the Vandal? NOTHING :thumbsup:

You shall now be held accountable for when OP drives his Vandal full pelt into a post and it's blown into a cajillion-fillion pieces lol.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the tip, might explain why they are bit weak.

After your comment I have decided to swap the suspension over completely and lifted it from my Raider as that had quite a good ride, certainly a lot firmer allround.

Was certainly a tight fit, but managed to get it tidy.....wondering if there is another steel available that I can change it for to give me more room...?

20140924_210601_zps9lzexmi6.jpg

Think the new red shock don't look too bad....

20140924_213622_zpshj5ldf4k.jpg

Shame it gets dark too early, can't wait to give it a blast properly.....as only had a little lap around the garden and didn't get a chance to stretch her legs....and I still have a 23t pinion to arrive and fit.

Posted by me ????

First test drive today armed only with a 17t pinion and NiMH, I found it quite a sedate drive (TBH more of stroll around the park)....got up to full pace in split second without hesitation regardless of the grass length, bumps around a lot more than the truggy did so can see its more happier on flats. But after using the two batteries, there was hardly any temps to report on the batteries, ESC, and motor so there is plenty more to come....calculated top speed 20.98mph...with this setup....

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag252/jp79er/20140925_130155_zpsae395b69.mp4]%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag252/jp79er/th_20140925_130155_zpsae395b69.mp4

But today a 23t pinion has turned up in the post, a friend is going to bore it out to fit my 5mm motor shaft on his pillar drill.....that should see it be pushed to 28.32mph....which is just 1mph short of where the truggy was.......stick on the 3c and I should see just under 43mph ish......(much more fun and livley)..

20140925_134108_zpsshqdyhv6.jpg

So look forward to getting this on and giving it a blast.....

Edited by jp79er

A 2S lipo will bring the weight down a lot, but the Vandal is designed to be tough not light.

I'd say you are seriously undergeared even on a 23 pinion for that motor. My 410 (another 1/10th 4wd buggy) was clocked at over 40mph on 2S so there is no need for 3S. Thats using a 6.5t (around 6000kV) motor, 90C lipos and a 25t pinion and its in race trim ie not a pure speed run setting. Your motor is much lower kV, but its also 4 pole so has higher torque. In your chassis with something like a 28t pinion it should be around 40 and still everyday usable too.

• Like 1

Cheers guys guess what i will be ordering.....lol...would not have considered going that high in teeth..so cheers

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Edited by jp79er

Took it out on the 23t for the first proper run....could easily handle a bigger pinion, even off the Nimh's...

Oh my, what a world apart it is from the truggy it's lighter, responds quicker, more stable, massively more agile & controllable....Makes the truggy look like a wallowing pig

Back tyre didn't like the 3c round corners....so need to re glue it....but it flies....and dosent really wheelie, just disappears..The acceleration in the truggy was kind of violant in comparison I assume the slipper is dealing with it...Run times of the batteries are massively increased too.

Love this car over the old, much better chioce.

Motor was hot though, will get a heat sink for it and cut the body for more ventilation.

Posted by me ????

Took it out on the 23t for the first proper run....could easily handle a bigger pinion, even off the Nimh's...

Oh my, what a world apart it is from the truggy it's lighter, responds quicker, more stable, massively more agile & controllable....Makes the truggy look like a wallowing pig

Back tyre didn't like the 3c round corners....so need to re glue it....but it flies....and dosent really wheelie, just disappears..The acceleration in the truggy was kind of violant in comparison I assume the slipper is dealing with it...Run times of the batteries are massively increased too.

Love this car over the old, much better chioce.

Motor was hot though, will get a heat sink for it and cut the body for more ventilation.

Posted by me ????

I'll take my finders fee via PayPal please lol.

I'm sure I have an all heat sink if you want it dunno how much it will cost to send but it's yours for postage if you like.

I'll have a look go it now...

I'll take my finders fee via PayPal please lol.

I'm sure I have an all heat sink if you want it dunno how much it will cost to send but it's yours for postage if you like.

I'll have a look go it now...

Yeah that would be cool, let me know if it fit a 36mm dia. Motor and i can sort you out.

Edited by jp79er

Ordered for the vandal.

3x spurs

2xdogbone rear

Cvd set

Sway bar upgrade

Lipo cell checker and alarm

Spare front a arms

Spare slipper clutch set

So nice to be able to order spares without having to trawl the internet tring ti find bits..

Also contacted my local BRCA club which is the Colchester Model Car Club about joining, will let me go 3 times for racing in the novice class before joining so might brush up on my skills and go and see what they do and stuff.

Edited by jp79er