• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Top Speeds

joeylcfc

I was wondering what kind of speeds people have done in cars? Driver or passenger, track or road. Personally, 70mph. nah.. I was a passenger at 166mph in a GTR on an airfield, and 135mph on a country road in a Ferrari California with the top down :)

Edited by joeylcfc

Showing my age, but much as I AM an enthusiast, love watching motorsports both live and on TV, we all have to bow to the regulations, in the interests of safety.

IN THE PAST, I have gone in excess, but that's a long time ago, and fortunately, with no consequences.

Did I enjoy it?

To be honest, yes.

That's why they have track days now, to let us all legally 'off the leash', and pay for it in a controlled environment.

Al.

140ish in a Celica GT4 (?) round the m25 at night as a passenger, about 17yrs ago.  It wasn't under controlled conditions at all.  The driver, whose name I forget had brought it tax free in Germany and had brought it back to blighty whilst on a course at Halton, ready to sell.

We were pootling along quite nicely at about the limit till some buy racers in a Golf GTI decided to blow past him.  Being the competitive type that didn't stand and thus off we went.  Car was only couple yrs old and with minimum mileage so felt pretty stable at the speed.  Tbh I'd have major kittens nowadays travelling at anywhere near that speed on a public highway.  When asked I was told he levelled off at 140 as doing MORE than twice the posted limit would have been bad if plod saw him!

On a related note whilst driving home from work this morning the new speed camera's built into the shiny new gantries over the M1 between J26-25 appear to have been turned on.  I drive that stretch a lot... and see the usual suspects pushing things but this was the first time I'd seen a camera flash - worth noting that the variable speed was illuminated and showing 50.

I was wondering what kind of speeds people have done in cars? Driver or passenger, track or road. Personally, I was a passenger at 166mph in a GTR on an airfield, and 135mph on a country road in a Ferrari California with the top down :)

155mph in an RS4(speed limiter) 166mph on a yamaha R6 and 174mph on a Yamaha R1. All under controlled conditions of course!

A GTR and RS4 are in my top 10 all time favourite cars....Beautiful machines  :sweeeet:

• Like 1

Bouncing off the rev limiter in my own car (slightly modified engine, close ratio gearbox) so about 140mph ish @7400rpm.

About 165/170mph on the works test track, in many different cars. It was my job.

Similar on an autobahn.

About 170 on the pillion of a (now retired) WSB rider, round Northampton ring road........ that was interesting.

All a long time ago.

Did about 170 mph in a derestricted test/ prototype car a couple of weeks ago. On a test track.

A mate got 201mph a few years ago, thankfully on a track. (We know it was 201 as the car was covered in data logging equipment) the prod version of the car has (unfortunately) 80 fewer horses and ~100 fewer Nm. And it's restricted to 170mph. :(

about 11 years ago i got the chance to work on and ride a Ducati 998R Superbike that had recently won the NW200  :sweatdrop:  

Had it up to 180 (ish),  

Been 150+ many a time  :whistling:

• Like 1

A GTR and RS4 are in my top 10 all time favourite cars....Beautiful machines  :sweeeet:

Dont get too excited about an RS4. As nice as they are, they are very boring! Sound nice, look smart but not as fast as you would expect. The most dissapointing car I have ever driven.