• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rear exhaust exit

Garry45

Guys

Has anyone done a conversion so instead of side exit youve routed it to a single or double ( 2 single exits)

Exhausts,

Would like to no if it can be done without wrecking the performance or engine????

Spending to much time thinking of mods than driving ha ha

Garry

Depends what you are trying to achieve.

I have ducted an exhaust out the back of a car to get a 'realistic' exhaust position. Works...but you do lose performance

You can get double outlet rear mount pipes for HPI Savages, which worked OK, but were not as good for power output and tended to get dug in the dirt too.

These are all things aimed really at getting the smoke to come out of the right place, and are fun mods...not performance mods, so expect some loss of power if you go for an exhaust that is not designed purely for performance.

Top reply and I did expect some performance drop but like u said its just a fun mod and will be nice to have the smoke coming out of the back.

Gonna try a twin exhaust but dont no if the smoke exit would be even but again it will be a fun mod

Thanks for your input

Garry

I have a Lancia Delta shell fitted on a Hyper 7 buggy. The shell is a 'Rally Game' one, so it's dimensions are geared to a standard 1/8 buggy wheelbase and width. I didn;t want to cut a hole in the side and have smoke coming out there.... so I just rotated the exhaust round And added a rubber angle connector. Then I used some lengths of 15mm copper tube and right angle air filter connectors to take the pipe round the back, up and over the shock tower, and out the back. I used an exhaust connector for the final tail, as I didn;t want a rigid pipe rubbing on the shell, and it also made the engine easy to stop...you just pinch the rubber closed.

For good measure, I rigged up a remote plug for the glowstarter, and fitted a rotostart on the motor. Allows starting with the shell on.

I had a .28 motor in there, which was more than the car needed...so a bit of power loss was no issue, and in return, the smoke comes out the tail like it ought.

Just keep the pipe a decent diameter so you don't overly restrict gas flow ...and watch for over-priming. With the stock pipe, the fuel can get out ...the more complex the pipe...the less likely that is to happen.

I have a Lancia Delta shell fitted on a Hyper 7 buggy. The shell is a 'Rally Game' one, so it's dimensions are geared to a standard 1/8 buggy wheelbase and width. I didn;t want to cut a hole in the side and have smoke coming out there.... so I just rotated the exhaust round And added a rubber angle connector. Then I used some lengths of 15mm copper tube and right angle air filter connectors to take the pipe round the back, up and over the shock tower, and out the back. I used an exhaust connector for the final tail, as I didn;t want a rigid pipe rubbing on the shell, and it also made the engine easy to stop...you just pinch the rubber closed.

For good measure, I rigged up a remote plug for the glowstarter, and fitted a rotostart on the motor. Allows starting with the shell on.

I had a .28 motor in there, which was more than the car needed...so a bit of power loss was no issue, and in return, the smoke comes out the tail like it ought.

Just keep the pipe a decent diameter so you don't overly restrict gas flow ...and watch for over-priming. With the stock pipe, the fuel can get out ...the more complex the pipe...the less likely that is to happen.

Great advice and duly noted.

Just gonna run some 6mm to 16mm tube thats going to be my exhaust tail pipe,

Want it so I can put the shell on and take it off without to much hassle

Gonna be a bit of trial and error but thats the joy of modding.

If I really like the idea I will do what u did and run a proper tube system with the correct bends/joins but for now a bit of tube will surfice

Garry