• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Engine compression problem

ftxfrenzy8

Hi guys Ive got a nitro ftx frenzy with a point 21 engine and the engine doesnt seem to start has been running ok up until a few weeks ago. And I think I'm loosing compression coz when I prime the engine and pull the pull starter it doesn't get harder to pull when I over prime it. So I don't know how I'm loosing compression does anyone know how or why.or is it even a compression problem, can someone plz tell me what I can do and give me some advice

You can either buy a new engine or overhaul the current one

overhauling to me would basically require rebuilding the bottom end conrod crankshaft bearings piston and liner

which unless you have a high end engine isnt very economical

You can however buy a 28 force for 89 quid which arent bad engines

You can either buy a new engine or overhaul the current one

overhauling to me would basically require rebuilding the bottom end conrod crankshaft bearings piston and liner

which unless you have a high end engine isnt very economical

You can however buy a 28 force for 89 quid which arent bad engines

There's usually no need to replace the crankshaft, they don't wear out normally, its the bronze bush in the conrod that wears out, not the hardened steel crank pin.

Also i would have an SH engine over a Force engine any day of the week, I've seen 2 cranks snap at the pin on .25 force engines, both with only 2 - 3 gallons on them and still running perfectly well until then. They both had that stupid spring and pin in the hollow crank pin, so it seams they have a built in weak spot.

Edited by gavin28

thanks for the advice but i havent ran this engine much

It may have been run lean and overheated. If that is the case, you don't need to run it for long to wear the piston down.

The other possibility is that the head bolts have loosened or glow plug is not sealing.

Take the piston and liner out and push the piston into the liner. The piston should stop about 3-4mm from the top of the liner. If the piston pushes out passed the top of the liner the piston and liner is knackered and needs replacing.

Usually buying a new piston and liner is the same price as a new engine so just throw it in the bin and get another

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...