• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Starter box problem

liamb2387

I've mentioned this in another thread but I wondered if anyone had any ideas.

I've fitted my new engine (novarossi nitrotek) to my hyper 7 and the starter box wheel doesn't rotate the flywheel as the flywheel is too high.

Is there any easier methods than buying a bigger flywheel. Heard there a pain to remove!

Cheers in advance

Its either lower engine mounts if that's a possibility with your engine/chassis or a bigger flywheel if possible (check the clearances around you current one and see if you can go a little bigger, some engine cant as the flywheel would hit the carb)

Changing flywheels is easy if you have the right tools. These are cheap if you dont have something better.

I do not know if the Hyper8 mounts will fit on the 7 or even if there are lower...

The Hyper7 as you know has the separate engine mount plate, the Hyper8 is different in that the mounts bolt directly to the chassis...so the 8 mounts would have to fit the 7 mount plate. 

There is a lot of clearance between the bottom of the engine and the chassis (about 3mm) but with a large flywheel you can use a starter box....the engine you have was obviously used on something where the engine sat much lower.

How much clearance is there from the flywheel to the box wheel....pictures?

The starter wheel is not actually that far off. The hole in the chassis doesn't really look big enough for use with a starter box. And after doing a small amount of research, I'm not confident I can find a compatible lower profile mount.

So here's what I'm thinking. I think I'm going to go for a stock hyper flywheel and file out the opening slightly.

I'll be fine removing the flywheel I think. But replacing the clutch looks harder. Any tips without using a clutch removal tool?

I've never used a clutch removal tool, just my tuning screwdriver to remove and install, or a bigger one when installing with 1.1mm springs, but i doubt you have them as standard.

Pretty sure it's the same flywheel as yours!! Little blue one? Got it starter earlier just by pressing down really hard and loosening the glow plug.

If we have the same mounts and the same flywheel, it must be that your starter box is better suited.

Oh I thought the starter wheel was not contacting the flywheel at all...probably just an alignment issue then?

If if contacts enough to get it started then there is enough contact?

Are you actually meaning that the starter box wheel slips and does not turn the engine when you try to start?