• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Its running to hot

JohnE

I am fairly sure that my Hyper 7 TQ2 is tuned correctly, picks up nicely, blue smoke when accelerating and so on but its getting very hot after only a few minutes running. I don't have a temperature tester but the water test tells me that its hot, hot enough to boil the water away so it must be at least 100 degrees C

The cooling fins on the engine are all clear and this is happening without the body being in place :whistling:

Any thoughts anyone

when you say the water boils away, its meant to take about 3 to 5 secs to evaporate off the top of the head, it will boil if you put water on the glow plug.

The engine should be around 110c to 130c, some engines like to be even hotter, i have a traxxas .15 pro that doesn't even wake up until it reaches 125c ish and runs at 140-150c when tuned correctly.

If it's tuned correctly then you don't need to worry too much about heat as long as its not getting stupidly hot.

If you are worried, just richen it up to cool it down.

Edited by gavin28

thanks guys, I will get one of these

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-temperature-tuning-temp-gun-and-screwdriver/rc-car-products/374120

Slightly off topic but here is a comment from a nitro virgin

If I set my car strictly to the manufacturers engine settings it runs like a bag of nails however out of the box it was smooth and picked up nicely, no hesitation, no bogging down and some blue smoke, it ticked over nicely so I am wondering if when I bought it the engine settings were not strictly to the original otherwise it would not have run

Any thoughts

Standard settings are just a guide to get you running for break-in, they are usually very rich settings, and rarely run great - its just a starting point for tuning.

I always check/reset carb settings with new or used engines, i don't leave my engines fate in someone else hands  :tease:

It should have been set up to run rich from new, but sometimes there not, I've seen a new engine (a mates) with the idle gap set to about 3mm, (about 1/4 throttle) which if i hadn't checked it over for him, would of rev'd its tits off when he went to start it.

I see my problem , u guys have been talking in Fahrenheit, Ive been tuning to the point of a puddle of metal, oh well, then again it took 6 months to point the heat gun in the right  direction, my engine was running at 98.6 for ages , thought it was weird

I see my problem , u guys have been talking in Fahrenheit, Ive been tuning to the point of a puddle of metal, oh well, then again it took 6 months to point the heat gun in the right  direction, my engine was running at 98.6 for ages , thought it was weird        :rofl:

Made me laugh mate 

Edited by gavin28