• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

which tape to use and how to tape tires and wheel inserts ?

rytis

hi, l just bought 2 new wheel inserts for my baja and would like them to last as long as possible. l have read on here before that people use tape from the inside of the tire and stick it on the insert itself to stop balooning. could anyone post a quick "how to" stick tape and which one to use ? thanks

rytis

Plus one for Jaffa, friend works for everbuild (who created it), it is simply stick-tastic, and wp, where gaffa/duct tape isn't.

I also recommend their Wonder wipes which clean just about anything off yer hands, and other surfaces too ;)

Got to say on a sealed tyre I've never had water inside for the duct tape to come off lol.

Then again, I don't run in the wet either :P

i don't plan on having a fire in my house but i still have a smoke alarm.

regardless of it it has happened surely its wiser to get the product that will fair better even if it just on the off chance it may happen?

i don't run in the wet either but my foam always seem to have enough water on them to make then slippy, good job they are closed cell really.

i don't plan on having a fire in my house but i still have a smoke alarm.

regardless of it it has happened surely its wiser to get the product that will fair better even if it just on the off chance it may happen?

i don't run in the wet either but my foam always seem to have enough water on them to make then slippy, good job they are closed cell really.

I've never had water in my foams before lol, so my duct tape has never come off :P only when I blew a tyre out of course (that was down to some metal shredding the tyre) so duct tape is just what I've always used :)

Inserts are done exactly the same, except you don't turn them inside out! ;)

it is only an idea, but what  about wrapping an insert with a tape which is sticky and stretches a bit. like an electrician tape for cables?

it saves the hassle, but not money. zero growth foams costs about 40 quit on ebay. IMHO it is far too much for what they are.

maybe you don't

i do, don't need to buy tape, don't need to worry about it getting wet, or coming off, or wearing out, and so on in that fashion.

i won't try to convise you to buy some, that your choice to make not mine, all i can say is i've been running them for 3 years now and i'm happy i got them, the stock foams fell apart after 2 months, so its actualy been fairly cost effective in the long term

Jaffa or gaffa is what you need, never come across anyone using electrical tape for inserts...

my problem is my english is not good enough and sometimes l just can't say what l want to say and even google translator doesn't help.

l was thinking about wrapping it sideways, like a thread on the bolt... l hope you understood what l tried to say. thanks....

rytis

Electrical tape will just stretch...no good at all.

I use Gorilla Tape and it's done a good job. Gaffa tape is not waterproof and degrades. Last time I exploded a foam, the tape came out looking pretty second hand. The foam was fragments! Last time I used Gaffa tape.

Double loop around the inside of the tyre ( making sure you finish directly over where you started, so there is an even weight and no lumps. Same on the foams.

Good as gold

Wrapping sideways would work...but you would have to use a lot more tape to get the desired effect. This adds weight...and would compress the foams more as there is a limited amount of space inside the tyre. Wrapping around the tyre holds the foams in the direction they need holding, and uses the minimum amount of tape to do it.

I always use waterproof tape.... I want to be able to run in all weathers, and if you run in wet or muddy conditions, water gets in the tyres.