• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Saw an Axial Yeti in the flesh - really nice!

ninjagaiden

I went to the biggest RC store in Phoenix today and they had an Axial Yeti out on display. It's really nice! Short Course truck in size with a very scale looks, and the plastics are great. Unlike previous Axials I have seen you don;t need to undo 17 screws to take the top off. It has 4 clips, and the shell hinges upwards without having to undo the back clips.

It has a 550 size motor, and the guy showed me the $11 option part for conversion from single speed to two speed.

All in all, very nice. Shame there isn't a kit yet!

• Like 1

Jony I didn't get to see the hinge pin design up close. The guy just unboxed the rtr 3 days ago and hasn't run it though.

It kind of looks like a twin hammers but done properly. Why they chose to release it as an RTR I really don't know. An SS with uprated shocks would be nice.

Right seems like its up to me then to dish out the dirt as i picked my one up on Tuesday.

Seems pretty good, axles and drive is obviously a mix of EXO and wraith so is quite proven, (good comment about the hingepins though, havent looked at it will compare them). The access to the battery is massively improved with the lift up shell, however the battery tray is obviously catered more for hard case cells as it looks a little tight to get a 3s lipo in with the wires sticking out of the side. the battery clamp seems to work well once set up but would be very anoying if you had to swap battery sizes often.

Rear seems set up ready to run a twin shock setup which is quite cool, though loks liek the right length shocks is 140mm so pretty long, also i think it would look better with a spare wheel on. which leads to running twin sets of shocks on the back. but the tyre would obscure the rear light bar. (shame as i want to run ultra 4 lights) I thin there is a spare wheel mount in the spares sprues which i will need to check out. BTW the shocks are already ally ones so are quite nice.

Also another little thing, the links for the rear anti roll bar hit the frame work on full compression, they just brush past so its not a problem but is this a full size rig it would be, so they could have sorted that easy enough.

And the very rear section of the body work seems a little flimsy, its a 2cm strip that runs across the rear of the frame, dont think it will last long.

Right onto running it, So far have only put a 2s in it and run it around on the road. the stock gearing is too high to make it a sensible crawler, yes i will be investing in the 2 speed kit when its available to improve this. (not sure why i can't have it now). I thik i am going to struggle at this years nationals with any technical stuff if i havent got the 2 speed by then, it deosnt look like a sensored brushless set up so cogs a bit when put against a wall.

speed wise, 2s isnt very fast, will jam a 3s in tonight and see how it fairs, i think it should be a decent enough speed then. (lows 30's)

handling so far seems pretty good the ARB does a good job of not makign it roll too much, and is pretty easy to catch back on 2s at least if it gets onto 2 wheels. though the ARB does massively restrict the articulation (at a guess - 45+ degrees with it removed, 30 with it in place)

rear sus is a little soft so i think it will eat through its travel fairly quickly, but seems well damped, something akin to the trophy truck videos i am seeing on FB recently such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJzDu-pY_ew

however if it handles like this, it should be so much fun.

will update with more thoughts once i have run it a bit more.

• Like 1

I built that trophie truck without ever seeing it lol. I just did the flite shell paint as good as I could then thought to add monster stickers. That is still the very best shell I have had.

I think that will be my paint scheme for all future shells. Some blk/wht others who knows.

Mayb silver and metallic navy with silver monster stickers. I'm half tempted to just buy the raptor revo shell and do it now lol.

Solid rear axle plus loose ground = spin spin spin!

Thanks for sharing. The guy had the 2 speed conversion in hand for $11 dollars. He said he got them in with the first shipment of RTRs, so hopefully you won;t need to wait too long!