• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Bodgit & Scarper Unimog

johninderby

The Unimog build is almost finished. Few little details to sort out yet (lights etc.).

Chassis has had the normal upgrades. GPM steering and front suspension arms, four link rear suspension (carbon fibre links with GPM shock mounts) and a set of Ansmann 75mm shocks. Tyres are RC4WD 1.9" Flashpoints on Gmade steel beadlock wheels.

I had an RC4WD front winch mount bumper and rear tube bumper removed from my Clod Buster after a Bigfoot conversion and found they would actually fit the CC-01 chassis really well. At the front the bumper mounting brackets were exactly the right width to fit the front of the chassis.Just had to shorten them a bit and then they just bolted to the chassis with no further modifications. The rear bumper mounting brackets were a bit too wide apart to fit the chassis so I just bent them inwards a bit at the bumper end and then back straight so they were the right width to bolt onto the chassis. Winch is one of RC4WDs new Warn winches. Very scale looking indeed.

Body was painted in Tamiya Camel Yellow backed with black and decals added along with license plates. Made up the fictitious company name and logo myself using gloss clear ink-jet decal sheet.

John

Unimog-Three-Quarter_zpsc0bbcf06.jpg

Unimog_zps8635d73b.jpg

Unimog-Side_zpsbb95796e.jpg

Unimog-Front_zps38584e5f.jpg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

Quick test run outside and a bit faster than expected. About 10mph. Those RC4WD Flashpoint tyres are a bit squishy and could probably do with slightly harder foams. Still it handled quite well, for a CC-01 that is. The big front bumper does compromise the approach angle a bit so that limits the height of what it will crawl over but I've never seen the CC-01 as a proper crawler anyway. However the big tyres do give good ground clearance and it will get over anything the front bumper will pass over. Only thing I need to do to it is stiffen up the front suspension a bit.

John

Unimog-Outside_zps42a36c63.jpg

Totally awesome, very neat lines in the painting too.

One thing that bugs me is the body is wonky in some of the pics! I recently discovered these o-rings Tamiya market as body post spacers, simply putting one under the bodyshell on each post holds the body firm and flat.

Having seen your other pictures I'm intrigued how you take them? It's like some giant light box, very professional looking!

• 4 months later...

Say goodbye to the winch & bumper. :bye2:

While I loved the look of the RC4WD bumper & winch unfortunately they made it impossible to get over an obstacle more than an inch high so they would have to go. So decided to cut the brick a bit and fit a Radshape CC-01 skid plate. Cut the front of the brick off at the same angle as the Radshape skid plate and glued on a piece of ABS sheet to cover the hole. Then it was a simple as drilling two holes near the top of the brick and screwing the skid plate in place. The bumper and winch will still fit over the skid plate so I could put them back on if I wanted.

Now there's a lot more clearance at the front and should be able to get over some bigger obstacles. :yes:

John

Unimog-Brick_zpswdc0riaa.jpg

Unimog-Brick-Skid_zpswod8oarl.jpg

Unimog-Skid-Front_zpspvcmtxkv.jpg

Unimog-Skid-Thrre-Quarter_zps56zuxbpk.jp

Edited by johninderby