• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Motor and ESC for TB-01

TMaxxDave

Hey all, I'm currently rocking a Team Mtroniks 11x2 brushed motor (about 9 years old now) with a Mtroniks Viper RV11 ESC with a Acoms AR-201 Rx. Old skool setup.

i'm debating being dragged into the modern age by going brushless, but don't have a clue where to start.

My current setup is working fine although i do think my Tx is playing up last time i took it out, it kept cutting out and randomly steering by itself :/

Got a Flysky FSGT2 on order to replace the Rx and Tx setup.

Back to the current subject.

What would people suggest for a brushless and esc set up?

Im not running lipos at the moment, only Nihm but they seem to be working well.

Are lipos needed for brushless? or will my Nihm cut it?

Thanks in advance.

To run brushless, you really need to run Lipo to get the best from it.

If you are happy with the speed you were getting, then look at around 4300kv motor, or around 8.5t.

For more torque, 13.5t will do, only a touch slower but should be a little easier to control.

The thing to remember is the motors have much more torque so you get off the line much quicker.

Try this for size:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25141__Turnigy_TrackStar_Waterproof_1_10_Brushless_Power_System_4250KV_80A.html

I'm running the 3520 combo in a couple of cars and they're bonkers. 

Also, Turnigy LiPos are good value.

Fitted my new Flysky Rx, having an issue now where the ESC cuts out under full throttle.

Spoke to Mtronik's Tech Support who suggested that the motor is drawing too many volts out of the battery, and giving a false indication to the ESC that its got a low battery. They suggested soldering a capacitor in to help out when full throttle is given.

As much as i don't mind doing that, i want to know why all of a sudden has this started to happen?

I never did it when i was running 1800 - 3000 nihm, now i've got 3300 - 4600nihm (brand new) and now this is happening.

Would the brushless combo above cure this problem?

• 3 months later...