• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fan optimal location

EpicLURcher

Looks good to me, 

straighten it all up and jobs a gooden

reason its the best place is because you are working with natural air flow, a fan on the other side works as long as its spaced properly other wise you get a vacuum of hot air, but in terms of efficiency and getting more cooler air over the motor, where you mounted it is the ideal place.

end bell fans i dont have much experience off but all i know is hot air will raise up and a properly placed fan will move that hot air away keeping temps down.  

I've mounted my fan on top due to wiring issues and lack of time, but as my Zepplin fan mount has 2 mounts, I can fit another fan in front of the motor if I move all the motor wiring around.

From your picture, your installation looks good :thumbsup:

I prefer the fan mount to sticky tape as it feels like a quality bit of kit, but as with anything when you crash things break - I've broken 1 fan so far from a big impact indoors on a tight track, but the mount has been fine from day one.

Yeah a mount is the way to go but i dont think any can accommodate with a fan upfront inbetween the ESC and motor

i know my zeplin mount couldnt as i tried it. 

Another way round things is to use a smaller fan, like a 30mm sized ESC fan thats super high speed, i know a few local drivers do it, noticed it on John Papes car, since its so small and light, sticky tape is enough. 

I personally have not tried putting two fans on, but I do have a low profile servo, so with a little jiggery pokery, I might be able to squeeze one in if I tried.

The ESC fan idea sounds good, and is better than no secondary fan.

I would say the fan is a good investment in stock, it preserves the life of the motor and stops your lap times fading if you are aggressive on the throttle.

The extra weight is very little.

If I had the patience I would have fitted 2 fans to my motor mount.

Not really much help but i havent run a fan since i ran mod, motor never gets too hot and still keeps up with everyone else. Is the aditional weight worth the cooling?

but then begs the question if it isnt getting too hot, could you push it a bit more in terms of timing/gearing etc as that could be the edge between keeping up and overtaking 

if you get my drift. 

fans just blow air onto the motor can and/or over it.

no offence to you guys but its useless, your throwing away amps and volts to nature.

these little fans are designed so that when place direct over a heat sink the produce a static pressure

its this that does the cooling coupled with the heatsinks super large surface area those fins double the amount of area cooling.

i have long thought about this problem and the need to carry extra weight, and it is weight.

it does have a difference even if miliseconds apart, its a difference thats not being used.

so here was what i had in mind, you cool your motor BEFORE THE RACE, but to temps at around -10 to -27 degrees.

you got a lotta metal in that motor and we know metal can soak up heat or cold, so you fit a small pipe clip to your can

with a small copper plate soldered to the top of it. 

now you add a TEC unit that runs from 12v ( your battery chargers power unit) this is mounted ontop of the copper plate

and a 80cm heatsink ontop with a big fan.

when powered up that copper plate will drop in temp fast all the way down to -0 degree and beyond,

the copper plate - pipe clip and your can will start to freeze moisture on contact to ice crystals,

at the same time the motor starts to soak up this cold and soon it to is well below Zero on the register.

you unclip, place on start line and off you go. NO wasted cooling - weight - volts and amps.

keeping an esc cool using a fan yeah ok not so bad, but just blowing air on a motor WILL NOT COOL IT ENOUGH

you need those magnets to be super cold just long enough for the duration of your race.

your supercool motor will run more efficent than a fan cooled motor and your a few micrograms lighter to

Tami its not about taking a 80c motor to 20 degrees C its more about how effective you move the hot air thats raising up, away from the motor. 

the motors can is already effectively one big heat sink, and the motors can heat up stupidly fast, so its more to do with maintaining a constant temp rather than relying on a small fan to reduce temps. 

however im not disagreeing with you as you are very much correct, ive seen mod lads use crazy thermo cooling before n after races along with fans on the motor during. 

anything to keep that heat under control i guess.

Edited by PurcyP

• 5 weeks later...