• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Discharging lipo's in series...

optimus

Is it possible? I use 2 2s batteries in series to make a 4s. However I haven't been able to use 1 pair of lipo's this weekend. I have a discharge function on my charger and I was wondering if the lipo's could be discharged in series too, and if it is possible would they need to plugged into the balance port?

I've read that keeping lipo's at full capacity damages them but it makes sense to me that they are discharged at the same time to keep them as paired "twins".

I hope this makes sense. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

If you have a parallel balance board, then yes, you can charge and discharge as a 4s pack. If not, then you will have to do them as two singles.

As for paired 'twins', I try and keep many of mine in the same way, however, it isn't imperative, providing the cells on both packs balance equally and within 0.1v of each other.

As above, just do the discharge as individuals. They'll still have the same number of cycles each, just discharged a few hours apart. I use a series balance board, this allows two 2s or two 3s packs to be connected in series.

As above, just do the discharge as individuals. They'll still have the same number of cycles each, just discharged a few hours apart. I use a series balance board, this allows two 2s or two 3s packs to be connected in series.

Thanks guys.

Could a balance board be used with a Sigma EQ Eco? I bought it off of a fellow forum member so I'm unsure if this is possible. Also, would a balance board enable charging in series too?

I like the idea of the parallel boards, they allow charging of multiple packs all at once! They don't even need to be at the same capacity at the start of charging, they'll balance as they go. I'll probably go that route eventually, it's not quicker, but definitely easier.

You should always use a balance board, charging and discharging, as it does what is says on the tin, and is there to ensure cells stay balanced :)

One of my chargers will only balance charge, if no balance lead is connected it won't charge. With the other charger, it will let you charge without balancing but I'm now in the practice of doing a balance charge each time. Unfortunately only one of the chargers has a discharge function so I can only discharge one battery at a time, hence the question about series discharging.

So if I get a balance board I can discharge two simultaneously using individual balance leads?

Forgive my lack of knowledge but I'm still new to the whole lipo thing lol.