• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TF2 Build Log "Shelly"

Andyking

So I recent saw the news that the TF2 was discontinued by RC4WD so I decided to tream my self to a 20th birthday present and purchased one.

KwhzFmZl.jpg

Also decided to purchase some upgrades right from the get go as these are the problems that I was always hearing about on various forums.

C2Qtn5vl.jpg

Edited by Andyking

Anyone got any ideas on paint?

And anyone with any experience, build the body then paint? or paint then build?

Ideas as in colour or brand?

I use Halfords primer and car paints, work very well on hard bodies.

With my 8x8 also, I mocked it all up, then sprayed it, then glued it.

Not sure how much the TF2 body comes apart but mine was flat packed so it might be different for you.

And so the build commences

So to kick it off the instructions: very poor. Found myself getting a couple of steps wrong because of lack of detail. On the other hand all screws and parts are LABELLED! makes it so much easier to find the exact screws! 

E5p5z49.jpg

JTMqLqDl.jpgCQ36yFzl.jpg

Next step was to install the leaf spring mounts and sliders

3ldALb5.jpg

HbdTuIv.jpg

pD2VxK1.jpg

The stock body should be yellow bud,so you could just leave it stock?

Always spray the components separate then build the body.

Are you familiar with spraying the shell? I can write you a quick guide if needs must.Let me know :good: 

• Like 1

The stock body should be yellow bud,so you could just leave it stock?

Always spray the components separate then build the body.

Are you familiar with spraying the shell? I can write you a quick guide if needs must.Let me know :good:

Think I'll probably go yellow but I think I'll changed the shade of yellow to suit my liking. This is my first hard body so It'll be a learning curve for me. Only dealt with Lexan in the past so any help would be greatly appreciated!

One thing I would suggest with a hard body, is build everything up and take it outside, see what you think of the colour in the natural sunlight.

I was advised this on an American Forum and they where right.

Looks completely different just to be in a more natural surrounding.

You might find you really like the stock yellow when you're outside with it.

I was the same with the green for my 8x8x4, didn't think it was nice when in the house, got it all together and outside and it looked 10x better.

Absalutely fantastic write up 53HRA much appreciated. I think I'll just stick to a single colour being my first hard body

I'm going to stop by halfords today and see what paint colours they have on offer.

As for the car:

Got the frame mostly finished as such

0BakVp8l.jpgFxVTJ1N.jpg

Got the "Fuel Cell" and battery deck installed 

WQEBKkQl.jpgRi3Izkll.jpg

Edited by Andyking

So the next step on the step on in the manual was the transfer box, I took it apart just to check the amount of grease and that everything was seated nicely. The casing is seriously beefy and the whole unit weights a fair amount.

Z8HLXr6l.jpgwsAlNB3l.jpg

UYs2ue1l.jpg2zTzBfQl.jpg

Next step on the list is axles and leaf springs

Edited by Andyking

• 2 weeks later...

About time for an update

The car is fully built but I didn't keep up to date with the pictures due to getting it all done in one go when I was "in the zone".

Had the car for a quick spin in the garden and the drive shafts popped off immediately. I heard mixed reviews of people hating these like Satan, an some people never having a problem. I went ahead and ordered "JunFac Hardened Universal Shaft 95-130mm". Haven't installed them yet but I cant forsee a problem as they are solidly built.

Here are some pictures I got of the final assembly. All body work is still do to.

?It was an absolute nightmare to take pictures in my dark working room so I unfortunately had to use flash. I'll try and get some better photos outside in the daylight

Complete shock assembly.

K7ztbb3l.jpgfLcwJ3Sl.jpg

Transfer box shaft (once again, sorry for ugly flash, I'll sort it.)

10W88pMl.jpgrEXyjGjl.jpg

Two speed fully Mounted and showing mounts to chassis.

6a3ATMXl.jpgT8iGqMel.jpg

Steering links all fully set up.

iAyUKLkl.jpg

And lastly the rubbish shafts made of butter.

euKYSFNl.jpg2R2wFVpl.jpg

Once again, sorry for the poor image appeal tonight as I had to use the flash

Just a little ran about the drive shafts, for a car that cost a fair bit and with the quality of the steel parts they have sure skimped on the quality of the plastic components. It is by far worse than the axial drive shaft quality. 

I tried the drive sharts with two different motors (CC 3800kv and HH TorqueMaster Pro 35t and both motors dismantled the drive shaft, both times failing at the joints.

On another note I've started to primer the car. I chose "Fiat Broom Yellow" from Halfords finest selection. So far there primer has been going on like a dream, one of the finest according to my bother "war hammer painter extraordinaire" I should have it fully primered by the end of Sunday

• Like 1

Are you talking about the colour? Or Savox in general being rubbish?

savox just being pish with the wp servo`s i`ve had one go on me and my mates have had atleast 6 of them go on them your better of wiht hitec wp servo`s ive been running one for nearly a year now 

savox just being pish with the wp servo`s i`ve had one go on me and my mates have had atleast 6 of them go on them your better of wiht hitec wp servo`s ive been running one for nearly a year now 

I must of just been lucky with the ones I've had. Been using savox for years and I've never had one go bad on me. Had them in my nitro, firestorm, bullet, wraith and twin hammers. All running perfectly.