• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Super 5SC

Mrfabulous

Just acquired one of these big HPI beasts, after building the ultimate FLM EMaxx I decided I wanted something bigger but whilst I waited to save up for a losi 5 conversion this came along and landed in my lap. As it's a roller I stepped back and thought I need to put in a decent can. I have a spare mamba monster 2 set up but thought the 1515 would only cause heating problems even with the castle cooler. Maybe running the 1515 with an XL ESC I have in my parts bin might help, or just get a 1717 XO-1 and use that with the XL, will the 1717 fit? Do I need new mounts, Alza, kershaw centre diff? Help would be most appreciated, just going to light bash this no hard racing, or arial acrobatics, that's the EMaxx dept lol

Yes I did and it gave me lots of ideas it's a great thread, but I wanted to know a) will a 1717 slot in without any conversion or do I need the Alza centre diff? Thanks

Agggghhhhhhh, that's that out if the window I have an XL ESC what motor do you suggest then with the Alza conversion I'm not bashing this hard, thought the 1717 would be better than the 1515..... Www.confused.com I'd rather listen to you and Tug as the other chatter I've heard come with no real sustenance

The 1717 can cope, but only if pushed to its upper limits. This has two main drawbacks; the can is always running at high temps, ~70C. The runtimes are poor, I've emptied 8000mah in ten minutes!

A 2028 size can or a derivative is a better option, but even the 780kv is still thirstier than preferable. The lowest you can gear the 2028 is 22/52, any lower and the can will foul the rear output cup from the centre Diff.

The two options I'd recommend are either a HW combo with an 1800kv motor. This should mount straight into the stock car. The ESC is a higher Amp rating and the motor shouldn't run so hot. Choosing the HW combo also means the motor is thermally protected via the sensor cable, that's another bonus. This would need to be run on 6s, geared either stock (13t) or up two teeth on the pinion to compensate for the 400kv drop.

If you go for the large, 1/5, size can, I'd recommend you look to go for a very low kv and get your voltage up as high as possible. That's assuming you fit the simple Alza centre Diff conversion. Kershaw does an open gearbox design that gives you gear reduction. This would allow you to use the 780kv, but gear it far lower and thus allow you pump that voltage up high! This should improve efficiency and increase runtimes.

Personally, I'd start with the HW 1/8 combo and try that. I can't speak from experience, but I'm confident that the temperature monitored 1800kv motor would be a good candidate.

If I can think of anything else, I'll speak up.

• Like 1

Ideally you want the HPI Hellfire spur, 52 tooth. This'll allow you to run 22/52, this be juicy on 6s, your runtimes will be short. I'd consider a 520kv.

Integy deletes are one of their better products, they remove the rear tie-rods.

Yeah, specs look OK, but it's slightly shorter at 102mm. I doubt that'll make much difference. I can't comment on the quality of the brand as I've never owned one or know someone who has.

The runtime is what's pushing me to a lower Kv.

Or go for a 1/8 combo with the stock gearbox?

I think ill give the 1800kv sensored HW a go, I've had a few 1/10 hobbywings and they have been ok, would have like to have stayed castle, but a 10 min run time means a boot full of batteries lol shame about the 1717 though but I need 20 mins plus runtime at least. The HW is

The centre Diff is for large cans only! The stock gearbox has reduction gears, that's the only reason a 1/8 motor has any chance of moving eight and a half kilos of car.

Stock box; 1/8 combo.

Centre Diff conversion; 1/5 combo.

I know the stock box already has a diff, but it also has reduction gears.

then I had a friend who suggested Turnigy... mmmmm had a bad experience with one of these so im suspect, however they do a 760kv motor ( 12mm shaft diameter) and 200amp ESC comes in at

Edited by Mrfabulous

I was toying with trying to fit the 1515 but the motor mounts wouldn't go over the can, I'd have to force the mount open, maybe I should wait til the hobby wing arrives...... In the meantime I'm having a nightmare sourcing batteries to fit the stock battery holders, anything half decent is just too long is there anything I can do? I didn't want to go down the Alza route until I decided a big can it is lol

Edited by Mrfabulous

Yeah, the HPI system is crap. It won't take motors with fins along the whole length of the motor. That's why I recommended the HW, it should fit without any aggro.

Most of my LiPos fit without issue. Some are a bit tall, so I've removed the doors and just use Velcro straps.

the HW is coming, should be here anytime from 11th-23rd Sept, I even had a 5% discount card from RCEcho.com, so that saved me a few quid, which I then put towards a couple of new batteries, so  I've ordered 2 x 5000mah 11.1v lipos from hobbyking, couldn't find anything else bigger without going longer than the max length of 196mm ( dimensions of max battery size taken from their 5600mah plazma range) , but at

• 3 weeks later...

The Hobbywing us in and it flies, but the new SF-50 servo doesn't seem to want to turn the truck the same both ways, one way there's more lock, is this because I need a better servo one that's over the 12kg/cm spec of the sf-50? Or us there a setting I need to adjust ?

Stephen

12kgs is nowhere near enough. I'm currently using a 24kg Hitec and that works, but still can't turn under braking. I'm looking at a 38kg Hitec that I've been offered, that should fix the problem, but these machines do need a lot of torque.

Can you give me a few recommendations model numbers I seem to be going round and round doesn't look like a 1/5 scale will fit in the servo mount box though. I think I might go 7955TG as this us what I've got in my Emaxx and that does the job .

Edited by Mrfabulous