• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hydraulic brakes

plasmag

It's standard hydronic fluid, you answered your own question in the title :)

For reference though don't buy any old hydro kit as the majority of them are terrible and leak constantly. Only buy the best otherwise you will be wasting your money. Mecatech are the beet but aren't cheap or easy to get.

• Like 1

There is no such stuff as standard hydraulic brake fluid. You should always use what the brake manufacturer recommends or as Dave say, it will ruin the seals.

What makes are the hydraulic brakes you have?

The most common is the green looking fluid in HARM/MECATEC or the Magura brakes - some say that it's Citroen hydraulic fluid (LHM) but I don't know anyone who has found that to be 100% correct. For the small amount you need, you'd be as well just buying a small pot from the manufacurer or dealer.

Many (many!) years ago, before I retired, I worked in the research laboratories of one if the major oil companies, and I can tell you that there are three basic types of brake fluid in use. These are the original ones based upon glycol ethers,  and the later ones based either on mineral oil or silicon. Each type requires a different type of seal, and using the wrong type of fluid with the wrong type of seal will ruin the seal. Therefore as recommended above, it is best to use the fluid stipulated by the manufacturer!!

Harvey

• Like 1

He has a harm with mecatech breaks and they are as good as they get.

These people race at Halifax and wombwell and carry the stock, this is all you need, it's very simple its best to take the calipers off to bleed them the get all of the air out.

http://www.rapid-racing.co.uk/Hydraulic-brake-oil,-Mecatech--1515920-29/12055.htm

The things about this hobby is everybody has there own opinions about things you just learn what suits you and stick with it rather than keep changing your approach on things, thats the biggest mistake we made in the first two years of racing.

This is off topic but if you are racing at wombwell, they have no pits so you will need to take a pit bench with you.

Edited by JayAVFC