• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Will's Rock Socker Thread

willb

Well, after ages deciding whether to or whether not to buy a crawler, I bit the bullet and decided to get one. The next dilema was which crawler?! I've always loved the Tamiya Unimog CR-01 but the price put me off, but then I saw the Rock Socker. Still a CR-01 chassis and from the research I've done online, I can't see any differences between that and the Unimog, shell aside, apart from it being

Edited by Euphoria

I had planned on starting the build today but from looking through the kit, it does not come with ball bearings. Decided to wait a few more days and get a bearing kit for it.

Does anyone have any recommendations of what motor and ESC to run? LiPo or NiMh?

Cheers

It depends really pal.Would you want things like drag on the ESC or not?

A crawler can run any cheapo ESC with any crawler motor from 27T all the way till about 80T. I tend to use a basic Tamiya ESC and a 45-60T motor and they work nicely on Nimh (for the much cheaper option).

However i've now started to use the Axial ESC with a 50T motor and a Lipo,which has more run time and at a slightly higher cost.

If i was you i would consider this with either this , or if you want a bit more speed then this. Powered by a lipo :good: 

I personally prefer lipo batteries as they give better run times and better power / punch right up to low voltage cut off. Nimh was fine back in the day but running them now frustrated me having ever decreasing levels of power until they finally gave up.

I'm running a Novak Eiger Pro ESC with a 35T Rock Star motor... it wasnt the cheapest option available but the motor is rebuildable and the ESC will run a brushless motor (and up to 3S) if i want to go that route in future. I imported it from AMain and got stung on the duty but it still worked out cheaper than anywhere in the UK.

Is 35T enough torque? I know some people run 55T or even 65T...

LiPo would be my choice too, plus I have loads of them!

Got my bearings through today so hopefully the build can properly begin =D

Plenty enough torque for my SCX10 from the 35T