• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My new 1/10 buggy build!

honedanny28

Purchased a quanum vandal roller

Upgraded to carbon chassis with carbon top plate +sway bars

Turnigy digital 9kg servo

planning to get this to 60+ mph possibly more if possible?

can anyone recommend a motor/esc combo to achive this,would need to be running 3s lipo,(would 2s lipo reach 60+mph?)

Gearing is at 17/65 at the moment

Thanks for any info

Danny

2b7188c5237dc9258551728a02722d46.jpg

44434cd86923c5cfa067b14be801c832.jpg

I would suggest the excellent HW SC8 WP ESC. Is was made for SCTs and can handle up to 4S easily. Many of the 1:10 HK ESCs can do 3S but the fan will only run at 2S, so you need some way of dropping the voltage to the fan.

If you can get an 550 size SCT motor that can do 3S onto the mount, you will have lots of oomph. Say the turnigy trackstar 5.5T SCT motor which is 3750kv.

Then you just have the gearing to worry about!

45A is a bit weak. Doubt it will get you to 60.

WP8 is a really good ESC.Modelsport have sufficient faith in Hobbywing ESCs that they sell them and offer a warranty

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-wp-sc8-120a-bl-esc-1-10-1-8-waterproof/rc-car-products/380328

Other people will doubtless chime in with recommendations for a motor.

Ooh you've confused me now. Did you order the Etronix 80A combo and a 4S battery, as I don't think the etronix is rated for 4S.

Or did you order the HW SC8 ESC which is rated for 4S? 4S in a 1:10 application is going to stuff your drivetrain pretty darn quick!

The HW will drive the etronix motor fine at 2S, but you need to see what the maximum voltage of the motor is.  I can't find info on that motor for max voltage rating.

Basically the motor rotor and bearings will have a maximum rpm limit that they can handle safely. Let's say it is 33,000 rpm for a given chinesium motor with chinesium bearings. You then take the kv rating of the motor and divide it by the rpm ceiling. So for a 3000kv motor and a 33k rev limit, the maximum voltage you could apply would be 11v, or 3S. A better built motor with ABEC 5 bearings will spin safely to a higher RPM. Put too many volts on a motor and either the bearings will let go or the rotor / stator will shatter...

You won't need 4S for hitting 60 anyway. My Durango 410 was clocked at 45mph on 2S and that was setup for racing not speed runs. 3S and the highest kV motor you can find in 550 size with the biggest gearing you can run should do the trick nicely.