• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie struggling

Dexter41

Hey chaps,

Proud owner of my first ever RC car and also first Nitro car, I bought a Kyosho DRX from modelsport a week or so ago,

I ran the car for a tank while stationary using model technics 20% big bang fuel and a full turn richer on the HSN and around 1/2 to 3/4 a turn richer on the LSN from factory settings.

Car ran fine, i drove it around steadily on thr 2nd tank at no more than half throttle, car was running fine other than obviously the tune was rich.

I took it for a run the following day and again no more than 50% throttle and all was fine untill the batterys in the car died.

Few days later i went for another run and started to lean it out slightly and the car ran great but still rich but i didnt want to fry it.

Again a few days later i went out again and had trouble starting the car, and it would cut out when dropping back to idle after a burst of throttle, since then i'm having trouble even starting it, a few drops of fuel into the engine seem to get it going for a few seconds and then it quits, i am now at factory carb settings (2.5 turns out from fully clockwise for both needles), i have tried going back richer but nothing seems to be helping, i have also put in a new fireball supercool glow plug.

0B6ECBC1-7DC0-42F6-B168-ABA76DF066BF.jpg

3D064D4A-7CF4-4925-A272-3245237D8E54.jpg

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks, Ben

Edited by Dexter41

Take fuel pipe off carburettor and make sure fuel is flowing freely.

Fuel tends to coagulate - both in the tank and the needle valves in the carb. If you can get it running, the carb will clear itself, but you may need to richen it up considerably to start with.

As Shudson said check the fuel supply first.

When you are trying to start it is the plug wet or dry? Of course if it is wet then you know you are at least getting fuel in there.

I would expect that plug to be a bit on the cold side for a small engine...should work but is not ideal...try something a bit hotter next time.

Right i'll check fuel supply tomorrow.

How do i accuratly set the LSN? When trying to turn fully in it just begins to open the carb slide so there is no real 'fully in' setting, i have it set flush right now as the manual shows to set it and then another quarter turn richer

Thanks!

How do i accuratly set the LSN? When trying to turn fully in it just begins to open the carb slide so there is no real 'fully in' setting, i have it set flush right now as the manual shows to set it and then another quarter turn richer

Thanks!

The LSN and HSN will be set accurately by adjusting with the engine running (guide to tuning at the top of this forum section (but that is for when the engine is ran in)).

The manual settings are only really there to get it running...ah you say "but it wont run!".....that is why I asked if the plug is wet/dry. 

You do not really ever need the manual settings to get an engine running, you can look at what is happening....is it flooding then go lean, is it starved of fuel then richen it. All you need is the engine to fire up and then you can open/close the idle gap and/or the LSN to keep it running....and if it is new then make it run on the rich side.

Of course there are many other things that will prevent an engine from starting...many of them are just natural checks/procedures that you pick up as you go....but regarding the carb. settings then try to concentrate on how the engine reacts to the setting rather than what the setting is.

If it does not fire within 5-10 pulls then stop...remove plug...wet= turn car over and pull pullstart to clear excess fuel and either open idle gap or lean mixture- re-prime try again.....dry=check fuel supply/pressure lines and HSN definitely open far enough and richen LSN/close idle gap.

Try not to wind the LSN/HSN all the way in and out too much for two reasons- the needle/seats are made of brass and the needles have little O rings on them....they are both easily damaged.

Apologies for waffling on... :030:

Hey,

Been out today in the pouring rain and ran a tank and a half, car is running pretty good again.

I had a few major crashes but seemed the fair ok, just before coming home,when the car was idling the throotle servo would slowly start to apply throttle? I put this down to radio batterys as i know they are due to run flat, is that a common symptom?

I seem to have batterd my rims a fair bit, 1 has even split, and 1 appears buckled?

What can i do about getting hold of some drift tyre or wheels? As you know its the DRX Kyosho

Thanks, Ben