• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Spectrum upgrade advice needed!

Heya all.

Two weeks ago I bought a rtf nano cpx which I love playing with, but its very twitchy so I want to get a new programmable tx.

Everyone seems to say the DX6i but I am wondering if there is enough room to grow with that controller.

It would be worth noting that I would like to venture into planes and (slightly) larger helis and multicopters but funds don't permit much more than an interest so budgets of those is very unknown.

Thanks for any tips guys.

Jim

Hi jim 

here is what i have running on a dx6i model programe

1. rc jetboat

2 Gpv-1 bike

3 microcu (microcub)

4 acro air

5 DJI Naza

6 mwc zmr 

thats land, sea and air.

my naza m lite has , gps -atti-rth-failsafe-OIC - oic1 -oic2

all these modes are switched and used via the dx6i and a few switch mixing settings,

i have dual rate switches acting as main toggles. 

so what can you have with a 6c system. well rudder throttle airlion and elevators are used so 4 gone.

gear aka the wheel retacts ( yep wheels fold away if you want) 

Aux1 you could fit to bomb bay doors and run on an open closed setting.

450-500 blade heli, yeah dx6i will fly it, its got spoolup, throttle hold and throtle kill.

plenty of mixing for 90 and 120 heads.

The reason we go more heavy on channeling for quadcopters is that we want more single switch

options to keep the mixing low, it also means we can run more modes. you may have noticed that my naza has no manual mode, but its just that i did not programe 

it into mixing functions.

the one downfall the dx6i has and its not life breaking is the none three way switch toggle, 

in quads it selects manual - gps - atti , then sub mix for waypoint-rth-failsafe.

for those starting out you cannot go wrong with a dx6i a lovely piece of kit and handset.

Dx6i would be fine, if you can stretch the budget tho go for a Dx8 which is much nicer or even the Dx9. Again a much nicer Tx, smoother gimbals, bigger screen, solid airels, menu layout is much better, more channels and loads more. I have a Nano, fussy, twitchy thing but fun to buzz round the living room. I tried dialing down the DR, adding expo but I found it harder to control.