• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

maverick scout diff

hello all just got my self a scout 

looking at modding slowly and a little

have took it out today and keep catching the diff guards 

so took the off and ws looking at cutting mounting points off 

is this advisable ie do they cut off ok or do i need a little as dont want to leave a hole in casing

many thanks in advance 

shaun

Edited by mightymini-5

Yes you can cut them right down to the case I used a barrel sander on them once cut off to get the same shape as the diff case if you go right down you will notice a small square hole into the case just fill it will hot glue, if urs is a new scout strip it grease all the axels an gearbox as there is hardly any in them if any from new , why you have the diffs case in half I use aruldite on the little holes if you don't fancy using hot glue gun.

• Like 1

Deffo strip it there shocking , I've had one since before they came out the shops it was bone dry . It's still going we'll only broken a drive shaft but tig welding sorted it better than factory lol . Enjoy running & modding it .

Cutting the bumper mount lugs off helped with clearance on mine. If you do nothing else, buy some 22mm lead strip off eBay and add weight to the wheels. I added 1.3m in the front each and .7m in the rears. Its up to you whether you want to start modifying the shocks with fuel tube etc, but an easy quick mod is to add two cable ties above the rear left shock collar as it counteracts the torque twist.

As mentioned above, my diffs were bone dry too. I stripped both, greased them and did the centre transfer case too in about 1.5 hrs.

Edited by Neil Robinson

I just cut the ones at each side that protruded down from the axle. Left the centre one, doesn't seem to get in the way.

Any 25T (futaba).  It's quite long though, the axial ones are expensive.  Blacksmith products sell cheaper ones and helpfully list lengths on them...