• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

lc racing motor getting hot what pinion ?

redz

hello,

I have raced my first race tonight with my new set up but the motor got really hot.

30a hobbywing

4500kv fuze

18t spur

would anyone know what the standard pinion gear is ? and what does everyone else use ?

it might just be a meshing problem but it seams ok

thanks.

it was to hot to touch , almost to the point I thought the spur gear could melt.

its a hobbywing quicrun 30a

Your running a fuze motor thats 24mm can, the stock is a 4 pole 28mm can that should out perform the 24mm size motor and can be geared from 17t - 19t pinion, I run 19t without any problems using a 60a esc although works fine with a 35a esc, I wouldn't run an emb with a motor smaller than the stock motor

Si

The thing is hot temps to a finger touch ain't always that hot, the hot water which comes out of your taps at home should be a max of 65oC, I wouldnt wanna put my bare hand in that, but 65oC is a perfectly fine temp for any brushless motor, best thing you can do is get a temp gun of some sorts :)

This is NOT a lc motor thou so it should be a crappy fuze getting hot which is very common in the mini 8 range.

Like said above you really want a 28mm can not a crapy 24 fuze which is only a 2 pole whereas the lc racing is a 4 pole !!!

It ditch this fuze motor and get a leopard 2848 4420 kv it runs super cool and you can gear it to the moon no trouble.. Downside is it comes with a 4mm shaft but that can be resized to 3.2mm easy enough with a dremel ..

But before you go buying any new motors you might want to check if there are any class restrictions on motors at your track ?

I was told in the shop the motor I had is the same as stock , is this not  the case then ?

I took it over the park today with my sons stock emb-1 . the stock is lots quicker.i thought it might be the esc slowing it down

ive just had  a look. both motors are the same.

both 4500kv 2836

Edited by redz

Stock is not a fuze motor it is a 2838 4 pole lc racing motor so I would run a 60a esc on that although as I said the 35a that comes as stock works ok I think the motor benefits the higher amp esc as the motor can draw 45a + and so the esc would be hot if it was a 30a esc, the gearing on the rtr emb is 17t pinion 60t spur, I rum 19t pinion 60 spur and get great range through out the performance of the motor

Si

Si

thanks for you help Si

what set up would you recommend without spending a fortune, all I want is my car to have the same performance as my sons stock rtr buggy.

I might just get the stock esc and motor from Schumacher, at least I know it will go well

The set up I use out performs the stock one, you can use a 60a hobbyking/turnigy type esc, I use a leopard 2838 4 pole 5200kv if you go on thumb design web site they have a pre order price that's 29.99 I paid 45 for mine, I would link to it but for some reason the link won't paste on here???????

Went on my phone to link the motor ????

http://thumbsdesigns.com/product/leopard-5200kv-4-pole-sensorless-motor-pre-order-special/

Si

Edited by silone74

• 4 years later...