• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TB04 ring gears - getting them dead straight

ninjagaiden

Guys

I'd appreciate some advice. I startedthe build of my TB04 Pro v2 last night with bag A and built up the diffs with all of the shims as per the manual.

The ring gear secures onto the diff casing using 4 recessed M2 screws. I made sure it was seated properly on the diff case with the little dimples lining up.I tightened the screws diagonally as carefully as I could, and then built up the rear output drive. everything fits nice and tight in the diff housing, and by eye the ring gear is all squared up, but when I turn the output drive there is a very slight notching at one point in the rotation of the ring gear. I suspect I haven't got the ring gear dead straight. Both diffs I built, I mounted and unmounted the ring gear several times, and both do this ever so slightly.

So question 1 is - is this normal and do I justneed to stop worrying about it

Question 2 is - if this isn't normal, do you have any tips on how to getthe ring gear absolutely flush.

Cheers

N

Yep thats fine, just check that you have fitted them in a cross pattern with the screws and also no over tightened them. As long as they move ok they should be good.

Thanks. One Internet beer token to qatmix.

All the Tamiya's I ever built had ball diffs. I imagine all the plastic gears will run nice and smooth compared to the crunch of metal on metal I've gotten used to.

You know the plastic gears in the diff - are they going to be okay with a reasonably powerful 2S setup (Mamba Max pro + 6900kv which I think is 6T in old money) or should I opt for the 5700kv motor, which I think is 7.5T in old money?

I only raced mine with up to 13.5 boosted. Although even TC mod drivers use plastic gears so I would imagine they will be ok. Honestly though a good 10.5 is rapid nowadays