• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

restricting speed

averagejo

hi,

Thanks for the help yesterday in choosing the Ruckus and I've been looking on youtube and all looks good but is there anyway of restricting the speed? as said its for my 5year old son and didn't imagine it would go quite so fast(!) and I just know he's going to press that trigger all the way as soon as I put it in his hands so is there a way of temporarily capping the speed or how much the trigger can be depressed till he gets used to it?

thanks,

Edited by averagejo

You can modify the EPA (end point adjustment) on the transmitter, this sets the maximum throttle and/or reverse, if you can't find it, stick some folded card under the trigger (using tape), easily removed and adjusted to requirements.

Edited by Vr5fx
  • Like 1

Easiest way of restricting the speed is reducing the EPA (End point Adjustment) or travel of the throttle input. You should be able to do this on the majority of Transmitters :good:

Where normally It would be 100% you can change it to say 50% so the transmitters full throttle input by the user is only transfered as 50% to the RC car :)

goh...... Vr5fx beat me to it lmao

• Like 1

This is normally done on the Transmitter (Tx).

What do you use?

If you're using a Traxxas vehicle, there is something you can do with the electronic speed controller - put it in 'Training Mode'.

Al.

This is normally done on the Transmitter (Tx).

What do you use?

If you're using a Traxxas vehicle, there is something you can do with the electronic speed controller - put it in 'Training Mode'.

Al.

According to the site it just says Electrix RC 27Mhz transmitter?

Dan

if it's 27mhz it's unlikely to have epa, does it have any extra knobs on it? with my one that didnt have it i just stuck some blutac or a polystyrene block behind the trigger to limit travel.

if it's 27mhz it's unlikely to have epa, does it have any extra knobs on it? with my one that didnt have it i just stuck some blutac or a polystyrene block behind the trigger to limit travel.

not sure, only bought it yesterday so just planning ahead, so other method is to just pop it open and restrict the tigger mech

first off. do nothing at this time, trust me on this. 

second, when machine arrives dad and son will unbox the said beast.

dad shows son where batterys go in handset. 

charge up your rc battery so its fully topped up and ready to go,

kit out son in his outside gear and head to the local playing park / school field. 

if dad places his pinky finger in just the right place young son cannot engage hyper speed.

dad holds controller as its heavy for the son ( thats what you tell him ) finger in place you show son

how to go fast, how to stop and how to go backwards, also show him the wheel makes the car turn.

now you sit back and let son drain all that battery down. keep that finger in place.

just before you pack away, have a quick go yourself but do NOT hinder the throttle.

straight line it at full speed yourself, get a feel for where you think that power is going to be to much

and remember where this spot is on the trigger pull. 

a small piece of foam placed behind the trigger in future sessions will allow son to handhold 

himself but give dad knowledge his 2 bob foam mod works wonders and the beast is tamed for young hands

but a quick slip of the foam and dad had full power at his fingers. 

Now over time you need to trim this foam back, every week or so we trim a small amount off giving son

MORE power , more foam removed the more power son has at command. dad has the rule over how much power is given to son.

This method above will work for nearlly any child with the cheaper 27mhz radio systems still sold with products these days

being cheap they tend to not have end point adjustment and or throttle mixing /settings, so the foam trick is your next best 

workaround. if you think the machine is going to crash out or you need to apply some e-brake, push your pinky forwards

this will close down throttle and engage brake it will also over ride sons urge to keep the throttle pinned open.

it takes time, but epa adjustment means your going to have to change it every time you want to have a go,

then re-set when young son is handed the handset. better using the foam trick 

i do hope son and father have a great time in the hobby and the advice offered helps to tame the machine

but allows both father and son the enjoyment the hobby can and will bring

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

thanks for the advise but he's very independant (...and stroppy) - once he gets on that transmitter no one will be able to get near it or off of him lol

better to just set the boundaries and leave him to his own devices.

as for my go, I might just have to end up getting one for myself just picking johninderby's brains about it :hahadance:

same method above i used to teach my godson to fly a cheapy toy plane.

same method using the pinky finger.

but the first thing was showing him a loop the loop, something cool to a young lad.

then using above method we both done a loop the loop ( rule was only when uncle paul was with him we would trick fly)

for you its gotta be a jump not to big but enough to get the four boots of the ground. so a small woodland or even a homemade jump in the back yard

if you get one and he breaks his, lol you wont be having a machine lol.

stick with one first, take son to a local hobby shop ( they like little boys/mans aladins caves )

grab a spare battery while there. 

grow up in the hobby together, have little races and likes to egg each other on.

if you upgrade yours, then son wants an upgrade so go simple things like oil filled shocks

in shiney alloy. or a new bodyshell and a sticker bomb sheet for fun.

maybe even take him to a rc club, let him see the bigger boys racing the cars

even young the sight of all those cars and going fast will have him quiet and avidly watching

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

For my lad when he started rc I drilled a tiny hole behind the trigger and inserted a small screw which is obviously adjustable and works great, this is assuming you don't have EPA

that sounds like a good plan if the EPA is a no go for whatever reason, thanks!