• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Need some help (nitro noob)

rcrallyuk

Hey.

I got a hold of a WR8 Nitro and a Tamiya TGS, both cars start no bother and they do run with a bit of tuning. I am wanting to do a full reset and a run in on both cars. Problem in, the cars both want to run off on idle. The only way i can stop this is with a reduction on the trim (i dont want to do this) 

I have read a lot of posts on here about low end tuning and idle control but none of this seems to work. One thing i have noticed is that the carb sticks at around 2mm when returning from full throttle and then when braking, the gap reduces to my set gap of around 1mm. (this is on both cars) 

I know there is a Low needle and a high needle but there is also a screw on the outer of the carb (where the throttle servo connects to) do i need to Adjust this?

As i said. I am a noon at nitro. so i don't want to start adjusting things that i know nothing about (and before i get shouted at - I have read everything about tuning haha) 

If someone has the factory settings for the TGS that will be great, i know the WR8 is flush of both needles. 

Thanks 

Andy 

You say that you can resolve it with the trim - that is what it is there for! Otherwise, adjust your throttle linkage.

+1

You need to adjust the linkage, it may have a little curcular twistable nut at the connection of the linkage arm to the servo. A friends car has this too, you have to twist that to adjust the arm length which in turn adjusts the idle speed.

See if yours has this.

Maybe you should put a photo up of the carb, servo and linkage.

I don't want to use the trim for the info it though because the throttle becomes less responsive

If turning the throttle trim up so that the engine is revving higher makes the engine perform better then your LSN setting is incorrect.

The idle gap and LSN should be set so that the engine will idle low enough to prevent the clutch engaging and the engine will accelerate from idle speed adequately...when the engine is warm. The throttle trim can be used to advance the throttle to aid starting.

The trim needs to come down to help with the throttle return. When I let go after a full throttle the idle is very high and the car runs away so I need to hit the brake to return the needle to its 1mm. I'll get some pics up to show you. I played about with the screw on the side of the carb that holds the carb arm. That kinda helps but still a lot of sticking on the return.

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/gallery/image/30171-/

- Idle return (no brake - High Revs)

Here is the steps of the carb

Edited by rcrallyuk

Yes, either the linkage or the servo is causing the problem. You could disconnect the linkage and then check where the servo arm returns....or just attach a spring to the arm on the carb. so that it returns.

OK so spent a bit of time with the car tonight. Got it running well. The car responded well after warm up and a good half throttle run. When taking to full throttle. The car would do it and then loose power. I ease off the gas before it stalls and I am able to keep it running. Any ideas what the problem is.