• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bashing on the beach ;)

capri-boy

Off to Sunny Carnac at the weekend with the little un.  If we can fit them in the people carrier we're going to take a couple of cars with us - probably my new EMB-1 and one of the Himoto buggy's / short course.

Never ran on sand - obv it get's everywhere so wonder if anyone has any tips they'd be good enough to share?  I don't intend getting anywhere near the water so full on water proofing won't be needed. 

Thanks muchly :)

Stay clear of the water as salt water will make all metal parts rust unless cleaned. The water will also destroy your lipo.

Thanks, hadn't considered salt+lipo.  Def won't get anywhere near the water with them.

Don't forget the sand paddle tyres !.

Oops!  Hoping the studs will be reasonably ok, otherwise will be tracking some down whilst there.

Avoid all water unless your 100% waterproof, the wet sand will stick like err sandpaper  :yes:

Most tyres work well on damp sand, but dry sand needs paddles or full spikes really IMO. Maybe other kinds will work OK?

Bring an old toothbrush to brush the sand off, and a small can of WD40 or similar water repellent, to cover all exposed steel parts with after (turnbuckles, axles, driveshafts etc). No matter how careful you are, you'll probably still get some bits of damp sand stick to everything :)

Driving on sand is a lot of fun though, my E-Firestorm spent most of a week going sideways on the beach a few weeks ago :D

Be careful if you have grease on your diff cups and dog bones,grease attracts grit like a tramp on chips!

Turns into a grinding paste which is bad bad bad......

Since you won't really get the power down on sand, maybe clean any grease off exposed areas prior to your beach running?

You can always re-grease when your back home.

Have fun!

KingPin

Edited by KingPin
  • Like 1

From experience of my Glamis Uno, run everything 'dry'. No grease, oil, even WD40 on anything as sand will stick to it and wreck everything. Stiff brushes and take wheels off etc to get around hub bearings. Get some carb cleaner to remove grease and any other sticky stuff.

Edited by M1tchy
  • Like 1

Just to clarify, what I meant was to bring WD40 with you for after your finished running. So you can knock all the sand off with a brush and a quick covering of wd40 on the steel parts to prevent corrosion. :)

• Like 1

Thanks all - got some brake cleaner spray spare from 1:1 discs change this easter, will use that to degrease the cvd's / dog bones and drive cups and run her dry.  Only taking the emb now as bashed the SC a little too hard tonight.

I took my virus 3.0 outon siouthport beachan killed my car Tha tide was miles out yet the patch i was playin on had a pond the i couldn't c from where i was standing at first i thought my throttle servo had died came to took it a part put it back together Tha started to work again then my receiver decided that wanted to play games an stopped workin for a day then on day 3 my servo was workin my receiver was work but Tha on off switch died... Went out replaced that part and had to replace my clutch bell aswell as Tha had damaged teeth an rusting up badly

• 3 weeks later...

Arrived back home late last night, lots of fun had by all.  Decided not to run the EMB-1 on the sand as there was plenty of opportunity to nail it around elsewhere on tarmac etc and despite best plans we ended up not having as much spare time  as we thought.

We did run the Himoto on Carnac Plage one morning  ( took it after all - bashing repairs we're much more simple than anticpatd), whilst waiting for the clouds to break, coped well on the packed, slightly damp sand near the tide line but really needed sand paddles for the loose dry sand - better planning for next time me thinks.  Tiny clip below (wind noise ruined the rest of it) of mini me showing his, ahem, 'skills!'

Edited by capri-boy
  • Like 1