• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OHO's Axial SCX10 D90.

Not sure if the actual build thread is allowed here or if that needs to be in the rock crawlers section, but anyway, received my SCX10 today from MS... Received a nice Savox 0231 as well.

Also received the RC4WD D90 from Martin at RCBitz, I'm on the fence about that, it seems to have a lot of blemishes from the moulding (I'm assuming) and generally scuffed up etc... So I might drop him a line and see if that's normal or what, not sure.

Anyway, onto the build :)

IMG_4030_zpsafc704f4.jpg

IMG_4031_zpsfa787fe9.jpg

• Like 2

i had a lot of fun making my scx10 d90 problem is it's never finished with all the little bits and accessories got to finish putting leds in mine and make 2 more links for the front so its 4 links front and back will be following this build :thumbsup: do you have any pics of the body

Castle 10a.

And yes got pictures of the body, no point putting them up though, we all know what a complete stock unpainted D90 looks like lol.

i meant to show the blemishes and scuffs because i got a shell from rc4wd and it wasn't perfect but one i got from china was pretty much spot on

Ahh right, I've not took any yet, if Martin won't do anything theirs not a whole lot of point bothering.

I'm not showing it purely because I don't want it to turn into a hate/slate kind of thread... With it being my first hard body I just wasn't sure if it was normal or not.

i`ve heard martin is a really good bloke who likes to help people out ive never really bought anything from him as his prices are bt of a joke lol

i`ve heard martin is a really good bloke who likes to help people out ive never really bought anything from him as his prices are bt of a joke lol

Yeah some stuff is a bit high, I didn't mind paying the extra for the shell though simply because it's not much more expensive than China and with China theirs the waiting and possible taxes, so just paid the bit extra.

I've heard pretty good things about him to, but he's very very slow at replying, I sent 2 messages 4 days ago and had nothing back yet lol.

Yeah some stuff is a bit high, I didn't mind paying the extra for the shell though simply because it's not much more expensive than China and with China theirs the waiting and possible taxes, so just paid the bit extra.

I've heard pretty good things about him to, but he's very very slow at replying, I sent 2 messages 4 days ago and had nothing back yet lol.

there should be a phone no on his ebay ad`s if you cant get through by email 

there should be a phone no on his ebay ad`s if you cant get through by email 

He doesn't answer, tried 3 times lol.

Got his number direct from his website.

I know he's been moving premises recently (not sure exactly when) but really if he's too busy to get back to people he should put the away thing on his eBay etc...

I've sent him another message through eBay anyway so we'll see if he replies or not :).

The shell will be fine. Any imperfections will easily pull out with a good finish of primer/filler primer and once it's sprayed you will not be able to tell.

Heres an example of one i did (and remember this was used with about 8 layers of thick paint on).Sorry if anyone's seen this before,just trying to convenience OHO not to worry about the shell lol 

Some of the areas i even scratched off with a knife - Now image what result that left.Not smooth ;) I used Hycote primer in the end with 1200 grit wet and dry.Not a single mark or scratch is in place now :P

As arrived:

rtnxR2e.jpg

Removed paint with graffiti cleaner and a knife:

u6SW1nw.jpg

Filled sanded and started to spray :) - When this shot was taken it also had no laquer on it!

DARDpMv.jpg

Just take your time on the shell,and will laugh at how easy the defects will cover.ABS shells are the best to paint totally love giving that side of the hobby attention.Much more fun then Lexan as you spray from the outside just like a real car :)

Ps: as the missing parts,look really hard in the box and on the floor.Very rarely do good branded kits have missing parts!

• Like 1

Definitely missing fella, I have a very neat, tidy and clean bench when I'm doing a kit, I laid everything out carefully, I've checked every bag 6 times now, and it's definitely not there.

Also it's not just the lines and things of the shell, it's more the creases.

I'll probably just keep it and do some fillering and sanding etc... We shall see, main concern is it being straight so it fits the chassis and also the windows fit, I'm sure it'll be fine though :)

Definitely missing fella, I have a very neat, tidy and clean bench when I'm doing a kit, I laid everything out carefully, I've checked every bag 6 times now, and it's definitely not there.

Also it's not just the lines and things of the shell, it's more the creases.

I'll probably just keep it and do some fillering and sanding etc... We shall see, main concern is it being straight so it fits the chassis and also the windows fit, I'm sure it'll be fine though :)

it not the first time ive heard of missing parts with a axial kit phone ms and tell them and they should be able to get you a spare set sent out pretty quickly 

it not the first time ive heard of missing parts with a axial kit phone ms and tell them and they should be able to get you a spare set sent out pretty quickly 

Well I've been ringing since 9am and as before, no answer!

I've sent them an E-Mail so hopefully they'll get back to me promptly.

I've wanted to visit the shop for quite some time so if they have one in I can have I'll go and collect it and look in the shop while I'm there.

That's if they get back to me lol.

Re the shell, if you're not going for the showroom fresh finish, could some of the imperfections actually add to a worn patina?

Just a thought ;)

I'm not going for a worn look with this one bud, to be honest I can just filer some of the creases out and sand them back etc... Gives me a bit of extra work but also keeps me out of trouble for longer lol.