• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

nitro fuel tank repair

allbluedave

hey guys. ok so im new to nitro cars and have just bought a thunder tiger ts4n. how ever.... the fuel tank is cracked on the bottom. is there any way i can repair this while im waiting for he new one in the post? also the car never had a fail safe fitted. is the wiring on all fail safes the same to fit all nitro cars or do in need a certain make for it. cheers guys  B)

Not sure if superglue (on the outside) would work but if the tank's toast u aint got nothing to lose.....as far as failsafes the wiring is standard as it goes into the receiver box which are all a standard plug fitment. I also have a TS4N and have this failsafe fitted:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/fusion-car-failsafe-intelligent-/rc-car-products/38157

This will return the throttle servo to a pre-set position (ideally neutral or with a bit of brake) should you lose signal or the battery pack dies. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum mate :)

What radio gear do you have fitted? Don't forget some radios have a built in failsafe,and when binding you can adjust the failsafe to your liking.You can also obviously change the failsafe settings too.

Depending on what you have,you may already have a failsafe feature - Just a heads up ;) 

cheers for the welcome and replys guys. :) when i got the car the tank had been botched with the silver foil from a fag packet and what looked and felt like blu tack. {seriously lol} and it held fuel but seeped a little.i thought id take the botch the previous owner had done and repair it a little better. wish id left it alone now lol. so far ive tryed fibre glassing the bottom. super glue. and had the idea to melt the crack together with a soldering iron.as for the radio gear. the receiver on the car is a tr402a. transmitter is a jaguar 8216.servos are ACE RC s1903.i went to a local model shop and he advised me to clean the tank out with warm sopy water to degrease it and use a two pack epoxy resin glue on the inside of the tank to seal the crack. didnt fancy doing that in case it contaminated the fuel and screwed the engine. ill look online for a fail safe. cheers guys. :thumbsup:  

i thought duct tape fixes everything too lol.so today i bought some two pack epoxy resin glue to see if it would seal the tank and for a short while it did...... when i tried to start the car the pull start snapped and the fuel that was in the tank ate through the glue as it had been sat in the tank a hour or so.i tryed melting it together with a soldering iron but aint put fuel in it yet. think ill just wait for the new one lol :banghead:  

new tanks turned up along with my fuel filter/primer.starts fine :thumbsup: . aint ran it yet though. last time i ran it with the old tank it kept bogging out. down to a air leak in the tank maybe?

also bad tuning causes it to bog out, so ya know always give it a tune when you go out

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I also bought a ts4n with a hole in the fuel tank, I tried epoxy resin, tape even super glue laced with the other halfs hair extensions to strengthen, didn't work in the end I cut a bit of plastic, screwed it in place and sealed with super glue, worked :-)

Having lots of trouble with it at the moment, front driveshaft keeps coming off :-/

Other than that it's a machine, tranny gears worn down so pretty much runs on high speed gear, got spares but can't find a video on replacing them ???

Almost impossible to repair a fuel tank because of the "greasy" type of plastic used - nothing sticks to it. "Welding" can sometimes work but, more often than not, you create a weak spot or further leak nearby.

melt it but be sure there is no fuel in the tank as this could ignite dependant on what your using to heat up the plastic, i just use to use a red hot nail (use cooker to heat) and a pair of pliars, has always helped me out when ive been out in the fields and had a cracked tank and needed a quick time repair. 

• 3 weeks later...

melt it but be sure there is no fuel in the tank as this could ignite dependant on what your using to heat up the plastic, i just use to use a red hot nail (use cooker to heat) and a pair of pliars, has always helped me out when ive been out in the fields and had a cracked tank and needed a quick time repair.

You carry a cooker and power supply round??? Now THATS dedication for ya! :lol:
  • Like 1