• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas T Maxx and Castle 2028 combo

Mika

Interesting idea!!

You need a decent ESC to power the 2028, probably the Castle Mamba XL2.

Batteries?

6S minimum. Better on 8S.

I've just read that some estimate the 2028 on full power giving up to 10 hp!!

That will not be controlled by the Maxx drivetrain without MAJOR surgery!

I'm certain the diffs and slipper won't handle that power.

After all of that, check out the dimensions - size and weight - they're pretty BIG!!

Al.

• Like 1

Its not impossible to do, but It would destroy the stock diffs in no time at all. Your best bet would be looking for some kind of hyper7 diff conversion. I think RC Monster do a kit for traxxas models. Then you would need to make sure the CVDS all round are alot beefier than stock. You would also need to make a custom bracket to mount that motor too.

Personally id say a 1717 was overkill in a T-Maxx, but its always fun to do something crazy every now and then :good:

The 2028/xl2 combo on 8s can happily punt a Losi 5ive along, as well as power along baja's and yes, it is 10hp rated with bags of torque.

If anyone has dropped this set up into a Maxx, it will have been a custom build...finding drive train parts (ie gears, diffs, drive shafts) that are strong enough and will fit the chassis will be a challenge.

If you have deep pockets, manual dexterity and patience, please share the results ;)

I will definetely try this as soon as i get that car. It has already good chassis etc, but let's see..

What about Revo parts, do they fit in t maxx? Or is it too weak for 2028 as well?

Or maybe this is just another wild dream for me.

That car looks insane!!! Amazing!

Atom, Send part list what you got there.

L

Edited by Mi Ka

Which t maxx is it? 1.5 / 2.5 or 3.3?

Are the drive shafts pretty chunky plastic with blue rubber seals or skinny plastic. Neither would suit this but I think I would go to trx summit shafts before trx cvds. Mips maybe but summit shafts are strong and cheap.

Idk about the old 1.5 & 2.5 gearbox but the 3.3 maxx gearbox will take the rrp steel foc gear set I have it in my revo its the same gears different case.

Haven't some people just bolted on a brushless e maxx gearbox with mount into the nitro chassis?

A friend on YouTube is the king of low cost rc and he put a pretty big motor lepard 6 pole or something ill see what mount he used. He also stretched his maxx to 1/6 scale but refused to go higher than 2s lipo I tried to sway him. I think hes put it back to the normal size now.

As above its the diffs that will be the pain theres not alot of options the ones shown above at $99 each I think, or a losi lst diff mod with lst cvds too.

Revo/maxx do share a few parts but not many drive shafts and gears I know but the cases both gearbox and diff cases are different. Internal gears can be swappd from one to the other tho but not e revo gears into nitro revo just nitro to nitro I think.

Dont forget bulkheads on the maxx or it might snap at crazy power bad landing. Check out the budget maxx thread on here somewhere.

As above, Summit shafts aren't all that.

As for making a Maxx tough enough to handle a 2028, Bob Hope and no hope. I've built one that's got a good drivetrain, but it'll never handle that kind of power. A 1717 would be overkill, a 2028 just plain bonkers. Getting pinions would be expensive as you'll need to guess on the tooth count, have it specially made and then shell out twenty quid for a new one each time you get it wrong.

Just a few thoughts, I don't mean to pee on your parade, this is a possible build, but at what cost?

It would be interesting to see 'though!!

Gorillamaxx single speed gearbox.

UE 8-spider diffs.

Driveshafts? I'd go for UE again.

MGM 200A ESC?

2028 motor.

8S is needed for this motor to work properly.

Mod1 or 1.5 for Spur & Pinion?

Thing is, how much room do you need - bodyshells?

There are UE stretched chassis kits ... could possibly consider Savage XL / LST XXL bodies.

Al.

I disagree on the 2028 not running well on less than 8s; run the badgers on 7s as a matter of course, the can pulls like a train and never cogs. Ran it in the 5ive (with an xl2) on 7s also, performed perfectly :)

• 2 weeks later...