• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Bullet - what's wrong with my shock?

SamUk

Was out playing in the fields...open field..and my 7 year old flipped the car few time in the 20mins play...I did not see anything wrong with it...

Ended up with oil everywhere and the shock looking like this...?

Is it broken? How?

9y3umu8u.jpg

Think it's popped bud.Must of landed on that particular area - Try undoing it and attempt to rebuild it.Hopefully the components inside/housing is not damaged,else it will need replacing (or a certain part of it will depending on what's broke).

Shock on the left looks like its snapped the threaded part off where the bottom cap screws in as cant see any thread and the bottom part has come down ;)

Edited by hebby

I would have thought the 2 ends would just Clip together as there is a red washer between them...but nope..looks like its snapped...

Wonder how much a replacement costs? Guessing there will be a stronger alternative...as no doubt it will happen again...

The orange ones linked all appear to be topcad products, so not worth spending on, as they will be poor. Better to find something by absima, ansmann or other, proper branded company for peace of mind :)

Topcad are a Chinese company who, like Integy, make cheap ally parts, which are known to look nice, and fail quickly.

Occasionally, they release something which is actually ok (I have some topcad parts on a Wraith which are fine) but in general terms, avoid them like a fat lass in a boob tube ;)

I did say some parts may be okay, and use topcad bits on mi Wraith. The topcad shocks I bought for it decided to vomit forth their entire contents upon first use.

• Like 1

I bought some Absima ones from MS recently and them seem pretty good for the money, good range of sizes too and threaded versions if you want to fiddle with preload a lot.

I've also abused the HSP 1/10 shocks quite a bit if you want really cheap imported ones but they need the pistons replacing or silly heavy shock oil if you want any damping.