• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

need advice for repairing plasterboard

Veed79

Evening guys, after some of your master DIY skills,been wallpapering the hallway today I removed the coat rail that was put on the wall by builders five years ago (its a fairly new build) and they had used some adhesive on it so when I removed it took the paint and the top layer of plaster with it.

sa9utyru.jpg

I removed all the loose peeling bits around it but now need to repair it so I can wallpaper, what's the easiest way to repair it?

I did try some pollyfilla but found out that's not gonna work as it just doesn't set properly, so is there something I can apply first to the whole area then apply filla, or am I going completely the wrong route?

The surface is a bit like rough cardboard at the moment.

Cheers

For quickness on holes in walls an stuff like this you can use car filler if you have any spares I've always got a big tin in my van lol doing rental houses 7 days a week it comes in handy for quickness or you can buy bag of multi finish plaster an patch it up but then you will need to pva the area to make it bond but you can also buy a cheap one coat plaster comes in white . Just remember if you patch the area you will need trowel if not got one I'd go the car filler route be cheaper an quicker drying a patch like that could be filled in one skim quick sand an job done half hr max, what I doe is mask a square just over the bad area with masking tape skim filler just over the edge of tape before dry pull it off then sand just that area in circle motions . You could always just roller that filled area with any white or mag emulsion before re papering just to be sure the dark area don't show through the paper . If using plaster it will take day or more to dry out fully before you can blend with sand paper before papering , hence I use car filler much quicker all round tricks of the trade lol ,

You can get plaster repair from b&q have used it to good effect perfect for your job.

Have you got the name of it mate?

I was in homebase the other day looking for something and the guy have me all they had but from what it said on the tub it needs to be going on top of plaster to work? And the patch I've got isn't quite down to the plaster its the top layer that has been peeled off, like when you take Sellotape off cardboard it peels a layer off, so I'm left with a thin layer of what's like rough cardboard. Been told most things I put on there will have all the moisture absorbed so it won't stick or set properly.

I've tried peeling the rest of the cardboard off to try get back to the plaster but its gonna take ages as it just comes off in tiny pieces.

Gonna see if I can get some car filler off my dad and try that trick mentioned earlier.

Someone I spoke to mentioned pva glue should seal it but not tried that?

Have you got the name of it mate?

I was in homebase the other day looking for something and the guy have me all they had but from what it said on the tub it needs to be going on top of plaster to work? And the patch I've got isn't quite down to the plaster its the top layer that has been peeled off, like when you take Sellotape off cardboard it peels a layer off, so I'm left with a thin layer of what's like rough cardboard. Been told most things I put on there will have all the moisture absorbed so it won't stick or set properly.

I've tried peeling the rest of the cardboard off to try get back to the plaster but its gonna take ages as it just comes off in tiny pieces.

Gonna see if I can get some car filler off my dad and try that trick mentioned earlier.

Someone I spoke to mentioned pva glue should seal it but not tried that?

I cant remember the product name but it was in a 5 ltr bucket with a purple lid sorry if thats a crap description, have you tried google serch diy doctor its a fantastic site with expert tips and hints used it all the time when I refurbished the house.

after skimming the plaster coat, its flicked with water and left to dry............. 

this gives it a somewhat white pink coloring when dry. next you have to seal the plaster coat.

there are many brands of sealer but they all contain one thing. PVA glue.

what we used to do was mix PVA in with some emulsion , and coat the walls.

it seals and gives a good layer ready for bonding to. with paint-paper etc etc.

thats plaster board so PVA it, first off give it a light snad on the edges of the torn paper

you need it nice and flat no hard edges, then use some ready mx plaster.

grab a float and a pad, slop a good cowpats worth onto the pad.

and work it around with your float. using long edge of the float scoop some crud up

walk to wall push long edge to wall and draw up while letting the crud attach to wall.

if it drys real quick you can use one of those misting sprayers to gentle add some 

dampness so you get an even dry, the dampness will also allow you to float ove rthe top

for supersmooth finish.

After skimming the plaster coat it's flicked with water and left to dry :lol:

Mate all you need is pva and a bag of thistle multi finish.

Apply pva with brush or roller, mix it 50/50 with water first. Let it dry fully. Shouldn't take long. Then pva again. When it's drying it'll feel sticky. Then it's time to apply multi finish.

Use a trowel and hawk to apply a nice thick coat, let it set for 5 mins.

Clean trowel and apply another coat. Not as thick. Let it set for 5/10 mins then gently trowel over with a clean wet trowel. Leave another 10 mins then give it another trowel over again with a clean wet trowel but with slightly more pressure.

Let it set in for another 10-15 mins then clean wet trowel again but flick a bit of water over it first and brush out any blemishes etc

It's a fine art really and your not gonna get an amazing finish but a bit of effort and maybe a bit of sand paper :D and it'll be sound.