• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First Plane advice

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/197264-hobbyzone-deltaray-rtf/

I went the powered glider route with a bixler (clone of others), others suggest the WOT or super cub like you suggested. High wing trainers are standard noob first timers. Depends what you wanna do, back to the glider type or more 'normal' flying with the scale models.

Have a look in here, plenty of first plane questions like yours;

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forum/76-general-flight/

Edited by Smoothybb

The WOT4 seems to get the most upvotes for beginners. Never had one but from what I read, really smooth on mid-throttle but as you open up the throttle and throws, will give you a bit more of a challenging time.

• Like 1

You can learn to fly anything without an instructor.

You just crash more.

I've never buddy boxed, just had a mate to help with setting up and then started throwing the thing. That's just me though, not one for patience/watching/learning, that's why my sonic has massive glue lines down each wing and pretty much everywhere else.

If you want to go without help, do some hours on a sim, preferably with the controller you're going to use. It's not the same but it helps. Things happen a lot quicker in real life and you will panic at times, that's when an instructor or buddy boxed mate comes into their own.

I chose foamies to learn with cos you can just glue them back together. The best advice is always to fly with someone that knows what they're doing on a buddy box if possible.

Edited by Smoothybb

the Cub is a lovely flyer, we call these types floaters as thats what they feel like flying. 

yes they can do loops and rolls, stall turns and even fly inverted, but as a trainer they are nice 

solid standard high wings. 

the mention of bixler. 

bixler is really a glider in a floater guize , has a motor but also that high wing

it means it is stable and WILL climb like crazy, so a flaoter again but has the ability to grow with a pilot. 

both aircraft are nice both can be learner and should be looked at more, the bixler is more a build yourself

where you are in control of whats added like a camera, a bigger battery for even longer flights or even a full

telemetry and first person view camera. the choice is more open for a pilot. 

the old 20yr glider, any clues on the model make, nodoubt we could find plans and even give it a 2014 technology boost update

bring a vintage glider into the 21st century 

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Bix3 Trainer just released by the look of it. now available on the HK site after a few teaser vids (in the background).

Looks like they're aiming it more towards the beginner crowd than the extended flight/FPV'ers.

Bix 1.1 out of stock for a while now, HK representatives say it's coming back due to demand. If it does, I'm getting one, to keep in reserve, before they disappear again!!

I am using my sim most days connected to my DX8, so my TX is sorted. I have a few helis that I'm learning to fly too.

I like the look of the super cub but would like something 4ch as i know i will loose interest very quickly once i get the hang of it.

From what I read, it needs upgrading out of the box but is a good plane once sorted. It's more for gliding and FPV though so if you're looking for something with some agility for later on, I think you might get bored. The 1.1 got more thumbs up than the 2. You could wait for some reviews on the 3 but you'll be finding out the weaknesses for yourself, better left until there's a few experienced pilots ironed out the mods needed.

If you do the mods, it could be a good entry plane, it's easy to fly slowly and stays in the air on it's own.

What other options similar to the bixler are there as the availability of the Bixler is poor. Any thoughts on the Easy glider Pro? would these be suitable for beginners?

There is lots of choice out there so all the input i can get the better.

Edited by jonnoaway