• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ESC/Motor Combo's on Trophy Truggy Converted

Hey all I'm about to buy all the parts to convert my Trophy Truggy 4.6 to Electric.  I have been looking over Combo's for it and came across the Sidewinder 8th Combo for $220.00, is this a good combo for my truggy and is the price ok? or should I be looking for something else?  Being this is my first conversion from Nitro to Electric any tips would be appreciated.  

I definitely want brushless and I want MUCH battery power so I can go out to play and have some time to run it and not have to change batteries every 20 minutes.  I was thinking of going with 2, 2s Lipo Batteries 5000mah, is that too much battery power? do I only need one? or should I go higher?  and as far as a radio is concerned I would like to add a 5-6 piece light bar for the roof and a 2 piece light bar for the front bumper.  Should I get a 3 channel or 4?  

I just wanna keep my options open for future added items so if I do add things I don't have to go out and get new gear.  Anyways there are my questions, lemme know what ya think all suggestions are welcome and oh one more thing I want to get a new body for it with a custom paint job, where can I go to find a company that will do this?  Thanks again all!!

-SmAk

1st of all you'll need to run your truggy on 4s as a minimum.  so 2x2s 5000mah packs with a good C rating will serve you well.  But,.

Sorry to burst your bubble, 20 mins run time on 4s 5000mah is about average.  All depends how much you push it.

if run time is really important,. it's gonna cost more I'm afraid.  you can get 6600mah 2s packs which will give you longer.  However for the price you're better off just getting another set of cheaper 2x 2s packs.  Note the Trophy battery tray will hold much longer than 138mm packs so you can go for a single 4s pack from hobbyking.

ESC:  standard for value and performance round here are the 150amp Hopbbywing ESC's, they come sensored or sensorless.  Sensorless is just fine for bashin but if the sensored comes in cheaper that'd be my choice.  Also note they now do a water proof sensorless version which may suit your needs better;)

NB:// By going with a 150a ESC you can run up to 6s

Motor:  I'd go with a Leopard 4282 2000kv.  Beastly motors which run cool and also can be run up to 6s.

Both of which should run you 220 Us dollar or less.

Other:

• Please read up on Lipo safety, charging and soldering which will also be a big help to you.
  • With that setup you're looking in the ball park of a 16t pinion on the TT ;)

I converted a Hyper ST with the same combo Deafty sugegsted and it was an animal. I ran it on 5S, and it ate centre diffs like smarties ( M&Ms.....whatever ;) )

The 4282 has a lot of torque, and really copes with big truggy wheels well. If you are sticking with 4S power, it will be good. If you plan to run higher volts, a 1900KV motor might serve you better.

If you are running lights, 3 channels is plenty. You would only need 4 is you plan on having lots of options on what lights you switch on. If you want that though, have a look at one of the little control boxes ike 3-Racing do. Handles a lot of extra options.

If you plan on doing that sort of thing, though, I would suggest running an external BEC so the servos and RX etc. a powered directly from the battery rather than through the onboard BEC the ESC has. My Hobbywing one failed quite quickly, and not long after...it went volcano on me...so I would avoid stressing the BEC in the ESC, and just run an external one from day 1.

And 4S too much....nope. That's about the minimum I would run on a 1/8 truggy.

Thank you both so much for your info, but I have some detailed info I need to wrap this up.

Goal: To run fast, have torque and to have a nice run time between pit stops, and of course Waterproof.

Battery: What Brand? What mah is best? 2s 4s or 6s, and How many of them.

Motor: What brand? kv?

ESC: I do want the 150Amp, but what is a Good one that will handle what I want? and What's the Difference between Sensored and Sensorless? 

BEC: What the heck is that? lol 

Diff Gear: What tooth size should I change it to and depending on the Motor whats a good Mount for it other than the HPI one?

OK I think thats it lol Thanks again for the help, I been away from R/C for a while and back then we used Crystals, and Brushless was just starting to get attention and I liked Nitro back then but with my Disability getting worse and the fact that I don't want to wait on my 16 year old son to help me I need to go the Easy way, man I bought this Truggy last month and I have yet to get a run out of it...it's just sitting on my shelf, I wanna play lol.

Thanks All!!

Sm

Battery -- I use Turnigy 40c softpacks. Depends what you can get hold of where you are. Hobbyking are the source for them. 5000Mah ones. Buy what you can afford and add to them if you find the runtimes are not long enough. If you buy a mix of 2S and 3S, you could run 4/5/6S depending on the combo. Gives you options

Motors -- Castle, Sirius, Leopard ... all fine. Leopard motors are good value for money. Also consider Tenshock or Tekin. Depends on the depth of your pocket.

ESC -- again...depends on what you can afford. Hobbywing XERun 150A would sort you nicely. Other options do exist. Sensored gives smoother pickup....but sensorless is fine for bashing.

BEC -- Battery Eliminator Circuit. Provides a power supply direct from your battery to run the receiver, servos and any light kits you hang off the RX unit. Avoids drawing the power through the ESC. If you do that, and yo uhave a powerful servo drawing current...plus LEDs doing the same, you may not get enough power and either servos will slow or the RX will 'brown out' and lose signal. Can also cause the ESC to fail. Fitting an external BEC takes the strain off the ESC. A good external BEC can handle 7A ... where the onboard ones are 3-5A.

Gearing ... anyones guess at this point! Sort that when you have hte motor/ESC and batteries bought :)

• Like 1

as above,..with...4s the following will help..

• With that setup you're looking in the ball park of a 16t pinion on the TT ;)

stock spur is 50t, keep it.

4s minimum!  look on hobbyking for lipos.  5000mah 40c minimum imo

nb:  I ran 5s single packs in my Tt with hardened diff gears and highly reccomend that setup , though 1800-1900kv would be better I ran 2000kv on a 13-14t pinion.  Lipos were turnigy nanotech 65-130c 5s packs.  motor was the above leopard 4282.

my other motor pick would be the 'tenshock' 6 pole.(sensored)  I know no affordable water proof (sensored) esc's :(  though easy to do yourself (corrosion x) :)

Iwill post links when I'm on my linky Pc ;)

• Like 1

Linky PC? lol  Thanks alot guys you don't know how much this helps me out, now I just gotta get the wife to approve the inventory I need lol.  I get paid this weekend so I'm going to order all the conversion parts to get it ready, and if I have enough maybe a motor or esc , gotta do a little at a time =).  Now as far as custom Bodies where do you recomend going?  Oh and I would like to put the Proline Badland Tires on but not sure for the Rims...Any suggestions?  I'm getting so excited I wish I was rich so I could do it all at once man lol... But the Veterans Association does not pay that well lmao.  Maybe one day I can fly out to England and we can race lol I would definitely have to stop off in Amsterdam though LOL!!

OK guys enjoy your week Can't wait to hear what ya got for me next time I log on =)

Sm