• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Start of crawler zone :) 1st update

the start of my own rc crawler zone for my landys in the garden, :) will be 9ft x 9ft once a row of slabs are taken out, not to bad I think ? Will update as it gets dun, mite use some rc body's I have and try work in to it some how,

imagejpg1_zps355bcce5.jpg

Edited by Master mind 123
  • Like 1

Got hold of some rubble and made a start with the help of my son :) still got to get some more rubble and wood etc and thinking of mixing it up and adding some rc body's I have & don't use :) plus I had to try it so far lol

imagejpg1_zps74e183f7.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsdd61c45b.jpg

imagejpg3_zps38527838.jpg

imagejpg4_zpscfbe2296.jpg

• Like 2

Thick bin bag in the ground with a sand base to weight it down and stop the tires ripping though the bag.

Think I have a near empty compose back that should do the trick ? A bag of sand is cheap so that's not to bad, have to go out skip hunting more rubble, wood, etc

If I was doing this I would make it like a park, lake in the middle with some wood for a crossing and hard core around with some mud coving part of it.

Your more then welcome to come and do some :) any input would be great :)

Edited by Master mind 123
  • Like 1

A good idea is to put very small stones under the bigger ones you intend to go over, it makes them less flat and more of a challenge, it also looks more interesting.

And if you want to quickly change the course, just put the small stones at the other side of a few rocks and it's like a whole new play area.

• Like 1

A good idea is to put very small stones under the bigger ones you intend to go over, it makes them less flat and more of a challenge, it also looks more interesting.

And if you want to quickly change the course, just put the small stones at the other side of a few rocks and it's like a whole new play area.

Ok will be playing around with it trying different ways etc adding loads more rubble also some water, in there some ware ?? Will try what you said as well thanks for input not dun anything like this and haven't been able to do any rc crawling till now, :)

I've always thought the artificial water fall sections you can get for garden ponds looked like they'd be good for crawling... but they cost a fortune new.  Maybe second hand though?

Like these : http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Garden-Patio-/159912/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=waterfall

Also I build up height for my pile of rubble using wood and then cover that with the rubble, otherwise you end up heaving tons of rock around when you want to shift it.

Chaps, you surely need a water reservoir for the pump to sit in and a self circulating system for proper effect?

If going down the watercourse route (which I applaud, BTW), use pond liner not bags...UV resistant and tough as nails; sit the pump into a plastic tub, sunk into the ground, then run the outlet pipe to the top of the watercourse. You will need to then design your channel for the stream to run down. Once excavated, line with sand, place the membrane down, using rocks to secure (remembering to lay the membrane sufficiently wider than the channel)

Now, tricky part will be ensuring that the water flows back into your reservoir, so you'll have to get creative with attaching the membrane to the pump tank. Lay some sturdy steel mesh grid over the whole reservoir and cover with rocks to disguise it, and prevent water evaporation. You can lift rocks up periodically to top up the reservoir if needed.

I would then plant small, scale looking plants in and around what you have created, adds realism and keeps the wife happy too ;)

The only caveat is this: you MUST have an RCB (residual circuit breaker) on the home electrics, in order to safely run outdoor electrics (especially where water is concerned)

• Like 2

When I was 15 me and a friend decided we'd surprise his mum by doing up her pond and someone said we could take his pond so we swapped them. We made a water fall pretty cool from a childs slide a bag of concrete and loads of rocks. We just put a rubble sack over the slide filled it with concrete then threw rocks and stones at it. Put the pond pump running from the top and it ran down and fell into the pond. For our age and lack of planning it looked great his mum loved it. We did rock piles and plants all around it too.

I would take inspiration from crawler teds garage tge first site his can bridges and rope stuff was ace.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, will take in what you all have said very good ideas there :)

After having a think about all what would be good for a course ? And seeing the proper once dun inside for shows etc, the crawler zone in the garden will be a lot bigger :) but for it to happen will have to get the shed moved from ware it is, and then will have a area of 16ft long by 8ft wide to do some type of crawler zone, with a water drop and then up the other side, also some mud mounds over the back of it and some type of bridge over the water drop from a different way round, but what I have at the moment will add some more to it till the other one in dun :) so if anyone is at all local to North London and could at all if poss help me out with this it would be great as I have never been off road with a crawler so it's all guess work for me how to set it up etc what will work or what won't work ?? But I have to put some flowers in there some ware got my orders on that bit :)