• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

cheap alternative to sorex 28's

hipwell

Is there one?

All that seems to work on our carpet is sorex 28's. Its only club level so it doesn't need to be brca approved but I'd like to find a tyre that works that doesn't cost 25 quid after a few weeks of use to replace.

I used to use sweep 32's which were well cheap but they don't work on our new carpet.

Carpet is primafelt GT.

Yea as above

as much as i loathe sorex being the constant choice every year for tyres due to back handed deals with schumacher, the tyre is actually extremely good. 

And they do stay consistent right down to the carcass which cant be said for other brands. 

Price as well, i assume you buy tyres track side like i do, once you factor in postage for other brands say panaracer at

On Carpet we now have all moved away from the 28's and use 32 JB's  They seem to work even better for us, and we get a lot of life out of them (Last for a good 3 months racing on our Carpet (New Primafelt GT).

You can get them a little cheaper if you use the 10% discount from here ;)

http://www.thercracer.com/2014/02/10-discount-for-all-rcracers-with.html

28's with the right additive and heaters will always be the grip kings on carpet

no two ways about it, if you want to win you use 28's 

32's are fine but wont be as glued to the floor as 28's, i found them to be more for rear end sliding fun on carpet lol 

Edited by PurcyP

I think it's about the surface grip. On our old carpet (20 year old carpet) we used 28's but since we got the new carpet we found they go too hot and would not be as consistent over the 5 minutes of our race. The 32's are better at keeping the car on the pace overthr whole race.

At the other clubs I visit I still find the 32's are the fastest apart from one that also runs buggies as welland so the carpet is not as prepped so I use the 28's

Yeah I tried foams when we first got this carpet and it ripped my spool to shreads. Maybe they would work OK with a front diff but yeah as you say, there's that much grip that it will knacker the drive train much faster

Edited by hipwell

I always use a diff with foams, a spool gives way too much steering and its difficult to be consistent lap after lap with one.

Another tip is use a higher shore rating so you are not getting excessive grip levels - and having a longer tyre life.