• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

looking to start drifting

sd66sd

Hi guys looking to start drifting and been looking around and I keep coming back to the hpi sprint 2 sport rtr 69 mustang as a good starting point and it means I can play around with sticky tyres too and advice?

nothing wrong with the sprint 2 its a safe choice

depends how much money you want to spend after, modifying etc as i know the sprint 2 hasnt got a locked diff on it as far as i remember. 

The regular sprint 2 doesn't come with locked diffs (I believe the drift version does, can anyone confirm?) and is a perfectly good car to start with. It is very adjustable and has a great weight balance for learning to drift, far better than other racing on roads out there. Every 4wd on road can drift, just some drift betters than others and some as specifically designed to go sideways. 

You will want to lock the rear diff (and possibly the front, depending on what you want from that car). That and drift tyres will get you going. There are lots of online resources to learn how to drift and loads on this forum. The best advice I can give is work out what each control does individually and combined. Realising the effects of increased or decreased throttle and steering will give you an understanding of what your can needs. Watch some 1:1 drifting as well and get an idea of the flow and what the car should be doing. Lastly, practice on a figure of 8. It is all too easy to learn to drift one way, but not the other. A figure of 8 will give you lots of options. 

Something to be aware of, you will hit the car into stuff, you will damage the body. They can be replaced, skirting board and antique chair legs can't. Don't worry about marking the body, all the best drifters have scars. 

Thanks for the warm welcome yeh Ian going to go with the sprint 2 seems like a good place to start and I love the looks of it, that plus a good charger and 2 lipos for around 300quid that will do me to start out can't spend too much as I have a wedding to pay for next year lol

Spint 2 is what I started with, few upgrades and it will fly around a track. Even if you get the Sprint 2 Sport, you can lock the diffs yourself but 100% make sure you get the front one way diff which is easy to fit. Will make a big difference to what you can do with it.

• Like 1