• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Complete newbie

Stoogz

Hello everyone! As the title says I'm a complete newbie to the RC world. As of yet I haven't bought any cars and I was looking for a bit of a helping hand when it comes to picking one. I love the noise of the nitro engines but I'm looking for either a fiesta or a focus rally car, which I have noticed are predominantly electric. Is there much difference when it comes to speed and overall fun factor? I know the nitro engines probably take up more maintenance time etc but tbh I wouldn't mind a few quiet nights away from the missus! ( I never said that) also what brands should I be looking at/ staying away from.

Any input is much appreciated.

Oh and btw I'm Stoogz!

Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for the advice. Would you say to buy new or buy used to start off?

Will be going to the Rc shop in Edinburgh to have a nosey either Thursday or Friday.

Welcome :D as for buying new, i would go for buying a new one just to learn the ropes, it's always good to know how to run an engine in :P but with a second hand one, its more of a learning curve since you don't know much or anything at all, you will be learning more about rc and how the cars work and what common problems are straight off, but just stick to what you feel like

Like my HPI trophy (in the pic) mixed with a monster truck, so it isn't a buggy and isn't a truck, its a mix.

My trophy is my first nitro and I bought it second hand, lots and lots of headaches, but the advantage is it helped me learn a lot more about them by getting my hands dirty. Problem is I have spent more time fixing problems and replacing parts than actually using it.

so from one noobie to another, stick with new if you can unless you enjoy headaches and extra cost.

Hpi Ken Block WR8 Fiesta is deffo worth a look....

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-wr8-3.0-nitro-ken-block-monster-fiesta-rtr/rc-car-products/383054

Possibly a bit pricey for a starter but theres loads of tune up options, plenty of spares and a 2year Hpi warranty so certainly worth considering. These things are great both on road and off although if u want to tackle serious off road stuff then a buggy/truggy would be better but this, imo, gives the best of both worlds. I only got back into the hobby 3weeks ago and i love mine :thumbsup: