• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thinking of swaping super 5sc flux for standard savage flux

rctech132

Would this be a good choice? Apart from it's size obviously how would te s5 compare to the standard savy flux? It it still durable? Would I be disapointed with it after having driven a standard flux?

The 2200kv was chosen because that's what they get at the price they want to pay. Ideally, I feel the S5 would have been more reliable with an 1800kv motor, preferably with a slightly longer can. There's a guy on YouTube who's cut one of his TVPs and managed to squeeze in a Leopard 4092, 1480 kv motor. Now that's probably even better.

To the OP, I'd say a HW 1800kv motor would probably last longer than the stock 2200kv. One step further would be to pair that up with a HW 150 Amp ESC to provide you with motor temperature monitoring via the sensor cable.

As for your original question, the S5 and a Savvy flux are worlds apart in handling. I'd reckon the S5 handles better, but will still be prone to grip-roll. This can be tamed with some suspension tweaks. The stub-axles are weak, but I've only broken one so far and I'm not going lightly on the car. Awkward landings are probably worst for stub-axle failures.

The rest of the car is standard Savvy parts, so plenty of support. Wishbones are fine thanks to HPI plastics being good quality. I've broken one through stupidity. Otherwise they're well protected by the bumpers and bodyshell.

Bodyshells are immensely expensive, you've been warned.

In short, I don't think you need to go for the full 1/5 set-up, XL2 and 2028. Thinking and knowing are two different things, but I reckon that a decent 1800kv motor would be sufficient to get the stock electrics reliable. Maybe I'll revisit this at some point with my own and see if I can make a 1/8 motor work reliably.

Tescos are here, I'll pop back later.

• Like 1

Diffs are holding up fine so far, kudos to HPI for that.

Steering; I found the Savox 1256 to be too sloppy. Swapped that out for a Hitec 24kg item, steering sorted.

Just don't rush into a swap, these cars can require a lot of cash to get right.

• Like 2