• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Has anyone used WiFi receiver?

JimbobIII

Sorry Guys 

WIFI just does not have the power to saturate the waves we need. 

most wifi stuff is small portable devices, they cam be easly moved into range of a signal,

phones -tablets - pacemakers etc etc etc all small devices. 

the only bonafied long distance linking you could use is costly.

they use the same stuff to talk with spacecraft on mars and likes.

this is UHF ( ultrahigh frequancy radio waves), you can take

a signal and convert it to UHF, broadcast it and recieve the data flow.

for long distance linking and receiving you would want something like a DRAGON LINK ( its a RC purpose UHF kit that plugs into your handset and converts to a UHF signal)

its used in long distance FPV flights and to recieve onboard flight data

I thought it'd be fine for close range slow cars. I was thinking about using it in my unimog so my son can drive fpv using just an ipad. I'm not expecting much in terms of range or video quality/frame rate though but I'll be happy if it's usable in the garden.

10-50m max on your link. 

you need to test that phone see how far before signal drop.

boot up youtube stream a vid and walk away from router into garden.

measure distance, now because your not using your router you wanna atleast cut that distance by 

half to a quarter,this accounts for the rubbish low power your phones transmitter is ( the router is boosted signal, your phone aint)

thats about the range your gonna have if everything is perfect, and we know the world is not perfect everything has an imperfection

so to be honest, just grab the lad a nice little rc with a propper radio. 

It's quite a small garden and there'll be no obstructions between user and car so should be fine. The lad is severely disabled and couldn't hold a proper radio never-mind use one. He can use an ipad though (albeit in a very basic way) and that's why I'm keen to try it. His limited movement also means he doesn't have to follow the car with his head if he's driving by fpv. I've also been adapting other controllers and will keep trying until I find something that works for him.

I was just thinking this the other day, GoPro WiFi is 160M is it? I'll admit it won't do for the OP but I was just thinking on a slow car that can handle lag (unlike flying) you could use a GoPro and mobile device as a FPV set up without getting the whole RX/TX/Google route?

Would this no work, I.e just attach

It's quite a small garden and there'll be no obstructions between user and car so should be fine. The lad is severely disabled and couldn't hold a proper radio never-mind use one. He can use an ipad though (albeit in a very basic way) and that's why I'm keen to try it. His limited movement also means he doesn't have to follow the car with his head if he's driving by fpv. I've also been adapting other controllers and will keep trying until I find something that works for him.

in your circumstance i would say its a perfect solution