• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rhodey's D3 Clone..

So payday finally rolled round and I've just ordered myself the D3 Clone off ebay after reading a few positive write ups on it. All in all it looks pretty good and from what people have said from reviews its a great cs platform to learn to drift with, at a bargian price.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE4MVgxNTc1/z/BmkAAMXQ1ZhThDmp/$_57.JPG

So aswell as ordering this I got myself the HPI M3 E30 shell, the V2 D3 belt tensioner and the ultra wide angle cvd's is there anything else i should be looking for?? Was going to buy the one way front diff aswell but decided to wait and try the car with the standard cs ratio of 2.14 first lol

aswell if someone would be able to offer any help with servo's as I'm not sure what to put in there yet and not really too clued up all I think I know is the faster the better... lol btw i run lipo packs so would i need to get a lipo compatable servo or would the ESC (reaktor 3500kw 15t brushless setup) have some sort of BEC inplace to save the power blowing up?? lol

thanks in advance gents..

Dude, are you sure the front one way and wife angle shafts aren't fitted already?

You know that with or without the front one way you'll still be at 2.14 CS

Servo wise, blue bird high speed servo is a good choice for a cheaper servo.

Currently using an alturn super fast servo which is also cheaper and is going strong!

With regard to lipo's I can't help I'm afraid as I'm still rocking NiMh's lol

Yer dude I checked with the seller about the one way and uwa cvd's and he said niether are fitted but was going to hold off on the oneway as the handbrake effect on my tt01 was nuts and with a cs ratio of 2.14 lol I dont think that'll be needed lol and yer to the ratio not changeing

as for the servo's i'll have a butchers on ebay now I've heard good things about the alturns tbf as for for the blue birds not heard of them but i'll do some homework now on them

tbf i dont think it should make a difference with the servo as i was running lipo in the tt01 and thats was rockin a standard tamiya servo and never had any dodgey noises of problems and that was run on nimh and lipo so  guess it must have some sort of BEC in there somwhere

Cheers for the advice though Hammy :thumbsup:

I have a SC-1252 and have just bought another. That is hands down my favourite servo. It's so fast and smooth. It is pretty much the same spec as the RC OMG top end stuff, but its HALF the price and gets the same results at 6v rather than 7.4v which is what most RX packs run at and what a it seems a large amount of BEC systems offer (that and 5v, I have been looking into BECs recently). 

if you want to run a 7.4v servo the RC OMG stuff is popular as it is very very fast at that speed and the titanium gears mean its super strong (but expensive). As far as budget servos the alturns are popular with people starting out and are good value for money. They aren't super quick but they do look very realistic when compared with the expensive fast stuff that rips the wheels around. 

EDIT: If you don't mind me asking, how much did you put out for the clone?

Edited by louder

Thats a good price!

I would go for maybe go for a 2000-esque EDM tuner look. Find a cool blue and use a silver backing after a few layers to make it like the old Z3's had. That paint was pretty much a staple of the BMW range during the late 90s and early 00s. Then throw some BBS style rims on it. It would look a bit like an America-Euro import from a tuning shop. You don't need to cover it in decals. Maybe a few small down the door on the hinge side. You could even black the bonnet to give it a race tuner vibe. You get the throw back of the paint and wheels to older BMW, Nice homage to classics.

The other way it would look cool is in the neon orange and black roof the GTS came in (That is from the M5). The only way to get the car in that colour way was the GTS version (on the M5). Throw some black rims on it (any style really but some nice split tech multispokes) and you have a GTS replica with a black read wing. It will suit a few back manufacture decals and look like a high end Euro tuner. Maybe a special edition show/track day car by the M guys? The bright orange came from it being a track safety car and they wanted it to look like it has been pulled off the track and into your drive.

You could even make it look like one of the Gatebil Breisladd cars (seeing as that event is fresh in my mind!) There was a hand built take on the Gatebil taxi track cars based on a modded E30 but it had a crazy over fender kit. I will have a look and see if I have any pictures of it. It was in the NY taxi yellow. I didn't see it go sideways (I don't think it even moved and the rear end wasn't finished) but it looked epic.

Paint wise I have mostly only used Tamiya. I have used some the J Perkins stuff and that is an ok paint. You need to shake the can an insane amount and I found the head was prone to dripping (spray the body holding it vertically to avoid this) but it coated well with a few very fine coats backs with a lacquer between coats to make the paint appear deeper and then backed with white to make it pop then black to help protect the paint (black is nearly always thicker). It held out ok and only started to get damaged when there were some splits in the shell. 

Seen a few people use the fastrax stuff but it always seemed a bit thin to me. 

Edited by louder

Thanks for the advice its BMW Neon green i nailed the colour down to and wanna try and achieve this colour when finnished as it stands out summat mad

BMWNeonGreen_zps067c6b9d.jpg

im going to try and drop in to see my mucker at the LHS and see what he thinks because he does alot of custom paint works etc and i think he's had a shell in nearly every colour going lol

Let me know what you think of the picked scheme lads..

Edited by WreckitRhodey

I like the drop tops and I'll defo have a butchers at the thread though

I'm still searching for wheels I need some old school styled ones like you say a mate of mine has some mint lookin bbs reps in gold and Crome split rims

But I like the look of the set hammys put on his it's a good euro look but I haven't properly had a look yet but I don't think anything stood out on mst or soul tbh but it was a while ago since I last looked

Edited by WreckitRhodey

right, well the waiting game has begun i've ordered the servo, stealth mounts, shoe goo, and a detailing kit for the m3

servo; Alturn AAS-752MG

Stealth mounts; are magnetic rc ones off Fleabay

and the detailing kit From RadshapeRC

in my anticipation last night i decided it was time to spray up the body and its not quite as turquiose as i would of liked but its better than being blue... lol i'll put some pics up tonight when i get in the Sakura should here today or tomorrow at the latest

and then its a pinion gear and should be good to go i think i might get the other type of stealth mount for the front though from radshape the bar type with some velcro,

and lastly @Louder i had a good look for that thread to convert to a cabby but cant find it bud I dont spose you have a link to the thread have u dude?

and as for wheels i've decided to go for the old bbs diamond cut split rims but cant find any decent ones in the uk but the driftmiester ones from the US of A look Hella smart but its a good wait for them bad boys

Edited by WreckitRhodey

pics i mentioned earlier,

temporary_zps1b2068e1.jpg

temporary_zps12aca87a.jpg

temporary_zps8d4ee7ba.jpg

temporary_zpsef3577e4.jpg

temporary_zps28ee846d.jpg

so i just plonked it on the tt01 as im still waiting for the clone  :yawn:  and the color isn't exactly as turquoise as i hoped but its growing on me anyway i'll be watching like a hawk for mr postman tomorrow

No joy lee I'm gutted tbh bud but I do still need to find a pinion gear at a LHS before I can run it though the servo should be here tomorrow I did get my shoe goo though lol and the exhaust from radshape that I plan on modifying it to look like a twin back box the uwa cvds turned up though and the V2 rear bulk head aswell I think when it does turn up I'm gonna explode I've been waiting like a 10 year old on Xmas eve lol so until tomorrow...

Oh and the stealth mounts I ordered still haven't been posted yet which is a bit of a wounded knowing I won't be able to run it anyway till the turn up

Edited by WreckitRhodey

There isn't a thread for the drop top, just a gif from when speed hunters went to an event and one was there. From what I understand the guy was using turnbuckles and plastic card and a servo. It allowed it to fold like a merc roof. 

Love the colour. Beautiful.

Ahh sorry dude my bad, and thanks for the compliments! Still waiting for the chassis to turn up  :(

but in the meanwhile everything else has, bar the wheels, so I've fitted the wing mirrors and made up a double back box out of the rad shape kit that turned up, also fitted the spoiler and I'm going to wait for the chassis to turn up before attempting to fit the zorst lol

so heres a few little pics of the detailing done for now..

temporary_zpsea7ef102.jpg

temporary_zps2657114c.jpg

temporary_zps9541300e.jpg

temporary_zpsc3a32525.jpg

And last but not least the choice of rims...

c093b8b4-af83-43d6-a1ec-fdb0e6b0fe63_zps

Might need a little help tho gents as I was looking at putting the MST tires on but as far as I'm aware there's no internal lip on the inside of the MST CS tires so would i have to use the O rings? and any good ways of removing the tires without ruining the rims?

Thanks in advance again and hopefully i should have some chassis pics to put up come monday  :hey:

• Like 1

Warm water will allow you to remove the tyres off the wheels, throw them in for 5/10 mins, should pop off fairly easily. A hair dryer is a good none water alternative, just keep it moving and be aware it is a noisy alternative!

You don't have to run O rings unless you find the tyres are moving, The problem is some tyres don't ever take them very well and it can cause bumps/rises in the tyre which effects the wear. It also depends on what surface you are on, you will never throw a tyre on carpet, on tarmac, if it's not swept you can nudge the alignment slightly which will change the wear pattern and ultimately change the behaviour of the car. 

Basic answer, is the tyre moving? If not, no. Does the tyre have a small indent for an o ring? Is not, probably not and refer to the first answer.

I am so excited for you chassis man, I can't wait to see what it is like!

Edited by louder

thanks for the advice, top notch as always.. I've ordered the o rings just in case, and atm I  just opened a case with ebay as I paid

Edited by WreckitRhodey

Still no chassis pics to put up  :banghead:

but after having enough of waiting now I've opened a case against him in order to try and get something back for the wait and also contacted DHL with regards to the shipment still being in Hong Kong.

Patience is wearing thin now though as I did some shopping yesterday and now I don't need a thing, not even velcro for the stealth mounts and even ordered my self a one way diff for the front....

So me being as impatient as I am its driving me nutty just looking out the unit door wishing the DHL driver would just pop up,

i was that bored i even got myself a few stickers to occupy my time...    Sad I Know..

temporary_zpse510bcd4.jpg temporary_zps9a962bce.jpg

temporary_zpsec814afc.jpg

I hope so dude it's getting to me now lol

And do you know of anyone on here who makes number plates on a 1:10 scale??? I've still got to make my mind up as to what's on them but definitely the German pressed type as the they'd look the mutts nutts. Loving the chassis thread as well louder good work dude! :thumbsup:

Edited by WreckitRhodey

I believe HeavyLeftThumb made some for Teshi and his Sprint 2. They looked really nice. While its not supporting the community there are quite a few people knocking them out on eBay if HLT is no longer making them. 

Thanks man, I appreciate it, I only hope it will be useful to some people. I am off work for a few days so figured I would do that. I have a document I am making currently about car set up as well as making an MSUK Drift set up sheet people can download. 

sweet man I'll drop him a line  :thumbsup:

and as for the chassis guide, i wish that was there when I first got into drifting its got shed loads of info on there look forward to seeing the setup guide

and I got bored waiting for the other half to come in so I did this..

temporary_zpsd522b362.jpg

Just to see how it would look on the rims  :showoff:

lol promise I won't put anymore pics up now till the chassis turns up... I am lovin' it though tbf

Edited by WreckitRhodey
  • Like 1

Sick. It works really well, especially with the golden stickers. I am extremely jealous. I am currently using RTR bodies I got off eBay as I haven't had the time to paint anything new. It has a real understated muscle look to it. Clean body but those wheels hinting at something special underneath haha.

• Like 1