• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tonka RV to RC :)

Tonka RV to rc :)

Used a tamiya 1/14 scale lorry, did a new chassis fixed the front and rear end and fixed the tamiya battery holder, will be changing the drive to the tamiya lorry 3 speed so have to made a cut in the bottom of it at the front to fit it and extend the drive shaft, and then do a engine cover on the inside, it does drive well as did try it out :) after the drive is dun will do the inside as it was plastic will use thin ply and varnish some and paint some,

Build now on hold till get more funds :( will still look ok on the shelf, thanks for your comments

imagejpg1_zps0e03d17a.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsd4cbf7d8.jpg

Edited by Master mind 123

I will be fitting the tamiya gearbox , plus I was going to put the bits in side but got to do the interior for it, I won't use it anyway like the rest of my rc I don't use them, once it's dun will only test it then put it on the shelf

Tried to see if I could move the rc bits to the inside and it worked all under the dash :) just have to do something for the battery when I get round to do the interior, looks better now

imagejpg1_zps1f034ff0.jpg

Plane looks like an old Stearman biplane, possibly a PT17 ... a pre war design used as a trainer by the US airforce before the wartime switch to monoplanes. It was originally a 2 seater, but you can see on the picture where the front cockpit has been covered over.

Post war they were pensioned off and lots ended up as crop-dusters.

• Like 1

Plane looks like an old Stearman biplane, possibly a PT17 ... a pre war design used as a trainer by the US airforce before the wartime switch to monoplanes. It was originally a 2 seater, but you can see on the picture where the front cockpit has been covered over.

Post war they were pensioned off and lots ended up as crop-dusters.

Thanks for that, do you no if there is a scale rc kit for the plane ? Or is it a long shot of getting one

The build is on hold for a wile now due to funds, didn't do to bad on it after a year of having the tonka RV sitting doing nothing still looks good on the shelf :)

• 1 month later...