• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Broke it!

YORKSHIRENEO

So went to park to have a bash with the WR8. Some kid comes bounding over asking if he can have a go. Politely told him no as its not cheap. Kid then starts trying to catch the car which was laughable, especially running a 3S :D Tried keeping away from him but he was getting silly and didnt wanna end up with the car running into him so as im driving the car back towards me he runs at it from the side, tried to avoid him but wheel was turned away and caught his ankle and this is the result

315mp1y.jpg

Also lost the drive shaft as well. So went to Model Sport to get a new one which were in stock but no drive shafts :( Got home and started to replace the part. When i stripped the old part down i noticed 2 grooves on the inside. Checked new against old and there were 2 small "bits" in the grooves of the old one but nothing in the new part so pulled the first one out, goes to the second one and its snapped in half. Checks the manual and its this part:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-steering-nut-3mm-4pcs-/rc-car-products/37636

So safe to say cars not running until i can get a drive shaft....

I`d of picked the car up and marched off. No time for stupid kids.

Had this myself with some tween idiots trying to kick my car.

What is it with kids, they always chase RC cars! its like they're dogs or something. I once had a whole group chase my DBX untill they had it in a corner. Then one of them started to jump on it, parents watching and doing nothing. Little bastards, i had to run in and save it! :shockingscary:

Might have to fit some metal spikes.....

T'was meant VERY tongue in cheek...i have a 2.5 year old myself so certainly do not condone any such actions. Its more saying stuff out of frustration as i would never allow my child to behave in such a way but sadly other people seem to think their child(ren) have carte blanche to behave however they like. In my op i stated thats what i was doing, bringing the car back in as i could see it going horribly wrong, just typical it happened then!

• Like 1

Around kids I dont do it, I turn my EPA down to below 50%, ive used my XT2E to play football with kids and dogs down the park, they love it :) ive never hit anyone with any of my cars, if its not safe to run, dont run it.

Joking aside chaps, this is the best solution. If the people around are unable to act responsibly, then it is the bashers job to do so. Public spaces are just that, simply because you want to bash, doesn't mean that conditions are right to do so. Find another spot, or go home and return later.

Any basher who condones using their RC as a battering ram against anyone, let alone one of the many, stupid and ignorant little darlings out there, needs to sit down and think about their actions. If a basher feels no guilt about ramming a child, then see a psychiatrist, as that is indicative of something very wrong with functionality.

Think on, if you sport forum/shop stickers on your rides, you are technically acting as an ambassador for them when out in public, bad behavior could create an unwelcome association....

Nobody is condoning it. But if im playing with my RC and a bunch of kids turn up whilst walking past with their parents, and they decide to run over and jump on it,  i won't be best pleased. Their parents could at least tell them "no dont jump on  it". I always try to use it well away from most people, for that reason or to avoid stupid questions from neds.

I would hope that people haven't yet devolved to that level of behavior, whether in private or public.

Stupid questions, on the other hand, are sadly unavoidable... I find letting these fools ramble on generally leads to them tripping themselves up over their lack of knowledge, often in the company of their peers. Cue riotous laughter, a blushing face and numerous attempts at back pedaling ;)

If folk REALLY don't get it, a simple 'if your child gets in the way, the rc could seriously maim/kill them, and I'm sure none of us wish that to spoil the day' can achieve instant results ;)

Yes parents who won't or can't control their children are a whole subject unto itself.

One thing that can be effective in dealing with parents in this situation is to politely advise them that an RC can seriously harm a child if they get in the way of it and as parents it's their duty to protect their children from harm and failing to do so could leave THEM open to charges such as child endangerment among other things.

John

• Like 1

you  have to air on caution. 

Does your mum say you can have a go ? 

no ..... well i am sorry but i cannot let you, maybe another time ok, but you can stand and watch it race around if you like ( nice calm adult tone voice usually works)

Yes mum nods ......... well give the lad a go, if you was the young lad and some guys just said yeah i will teach you, you would be stoked and well chuffed for weeks

maybe even find you own a machine for a birthday etc etc. 

Now handing ove rthe handset is not the idea, you keep hold and let them control the turning and some throttle.

your little pinky sits just behind the trigger acting as a physical barrier to top end power.

braking you set to drag brake only and reverse on centered then reverse not instant bypass.

out flying fpv and someone says wow that looks awesome, so you hand the headset over tell them  to pop it on and take a quick throttle punch skywards.

the view they see is awesome and that memory will never die, always on thier mind is " wonder if that guy will be flying his machine/drivng his buggy "

these days we have to craft young minds away from the streets and wrong doing, 

now if im out and a young lad asks to have a go i ask him to ask his parents first,

then tutor the young lad on how to work the handset and how it all works. one battery later

the smile on the lads face is the same one you have each time you go out and have a good bashing session. 

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Like 1

A very interesting approach TC, certainly worthy of consideration, child/RC being bashed dependent; handing over the tx for the LB or Blackfoot is fine, the bl badgers an entirely different matter ;)

The problem is that to the untrained eye, high power brushless RC's look like toys. They are seeing them being driven outside, so you lose some sense of scale compared to the toy grade stuff they see being driven round the kitchen. If you aren't driving the thing, sometimes it is hard to get the speed of the thing into perspective.

We are all responsible enough to not run a car at Vmax near a kid for fear of hurting them - that would be our fault.

Kids and parents should also be responsible to keep a safe distance from a vehicle that is being run. I mean look at it this way, if some guy was walking his Dobermann in the park, you wouldn't try and creep up and kick it in the flank like the kids did to the OPs car would you!

The brash kids who chase after RCs and ask for a go - well I usually just say I'm not insured for them to drive it and move away.

The quiet kids who sit and watch from a safe distance are the ones I go and ask their parents if they would like a go- and love the fact that their faces light up. I turn the dual rates down and hold the controller with them.

Very wise words and good info there chaps :thumbsup: The main reason i would not let a child have a go is every time i have been out i have had my 2.5year old with me and if he sees me letting another child have a go, when he cant would cause more hassle than is worth! As mentioned, a lot of these rc cars etc dont look like they cost what they did and most kids have no idea about money and its worth so telling them " no because it cost x amount of

Here's a suggestion: friend of mine sometimes has his three year old with him, to whom he has given a broken tx...little lad thinks he is driving daddy's car! Works a treat :)

• Like 1

I have never been asked by anyone if they can have a go. I do fly heli's and I have found they are often compared to the indoor co-ax counter parts and I have had people come up and physically try to take the controller off me to show me what they can do. In one such case I did have my hand knocked, flew upside down and couldn't hit the mixing switch..ended badly. I tend to find I pick quite quiet bashing spots so it's never been too much of a problem. I think the biggest issue I have ever had is when I was about 17 I went out with my T-Maxx and a group of slightly older kids tried to steal it from me. Luckily they couldn't catch it and I could run, it must have been a funny sight, me running behind my Maxx driving it while being chased by kids.

I tend to get questions about 1) How much did it cost 2) How fast does it go 3) Where did you get it from. I tend to run the car over to myself and take off the shell and explain a little bit about the car. I nearly always have sticks in my tool box or bag so give them a modelsport one or whatever if they are young and they seem happy enough.

My brother-in-law and I were racing our buggies out on the street when a young mum and her wee girl walked past. The wee girl asked for a shot.

Well my Mad Rat is one of the slowest RCs I own and it's a tough little thing, so I gave her a shot. She throttled it full-on towards the T-junction. No steering input whatsoever. I saw it was going to crash. Matthew saw it was going to crash. And the mum saw it was going to crash. The little girl didn't. She didn't even flinch when the buggy hit the kerb full-frontal at max speed.

That's the problem, I don't mind if a little kid asks for a shot, but they are simply not capable of doing it! They have neither the hand-eye coordination, nor the necessary cognitive ability to comprehend what will happen next or how to react.

The Mad Rat was absolutely fine. Love that thing! But I think I'll say no from now on.

Edited by Praet0r87

Here's a suggestion: friend of mine sometimes has his three year old with him, to whom he has given a broken tx...little lad thinks he is driving daddy's car! Works a treat :)

Only problem with that is i would have to break a tx first!!