• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

turn my diff into one way?

pikey367

A one way on the front gives a hand break effect when you come off the power or break. Swinging the back end round. This is pretty aggressive and great for technical tracks. If you come off angle just power off/break and the back comes round again. It also increases turn under power so you can whip the back end round again out of corners to the next. You will find under breaking (say you enter a corner too fast) you have to gradually let the slow opposed to coming off the throttle. 

A locked front has a similar effect but far less aggressive seeing as there is a no sudden transition as the wheels are always under the same permitters, both running the same speed there for, there is not such an aggressive change. The main difference is the wheels won't turn in as much, meaning you will need to kick the back end with the accelerator more to get it to come round the car. 

The basic difference when driving is the one way is more aggressive when turning in, you find the back swings round and you have to counter steer to stop the rear spinning round on you. A locked front you have to work a little bit harder to get the back end to come round and you only have to counter steer on the exit to straighten it out or to make the drift wider.

A popular mod is to run a one way on the shaft and a ball or one way on the front to give a further hand break effect. This is popular with counter steer. As is running a one way in the front. 

Edit: Yes, its pretty much the way into 2wd drifting and more advanced techniques. Korogashi is where is where you back of the throttle to the point where the wheels are no longer under power and spinning but just rolling. This is why some counter steer drifters massive differences between the front and back wheel speeds using different pulleys so korogashi is easier as you need the back wheels to drift sideways. True korogashi takes immense control and a balance between throttle and steering and is vastly effected by your entry speed etc.

Edited by louder

Well it doesn't so much as make it easier as just changes the handling. There are quite a few people who run ball diffs in the front over a one way, partially the all wheel drifters as it allows the wheels to bite and help with the flick, especially with some negative front camber so you get some more grip on the turns (although it does effect turn in so you will need to give it some more power). That is how most all wheel drifters I know run. 

Edited by louder

Ya and just quick how do you camber the wheels ? And louder I was having a play last nite with the car and I was doing ok with the round and round then when I put the power down on a drift it went wide but looked good doing it lol

And aswell I got to play around with the steering as I can only get it to kick the back out when trying rite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by cashew1989

On the flying fish there isn't really a way to adjust the camber. On most drift cars you have things called turnbuckles. These are tiny adjustable linkages. If you look at the front or rear a-arms of the car, those extra struts (aka linkages) adjust settings on the car. I have attached a little picture so you can see a camber linkage EDIT: The picture won't attach so here is a link to it! http://www.beginningrc.com/img-rc/43_1-rc_suspension_arm.jpg

Basically you use a little wrench to rotate the camber linkage, increasing or decreasing the camber of the car. It is the same both front and rear. On a lot of entry level cars you have to purchase upgrades to make this adjustable. On some cars you don't turn the bar but you turn the little plastic ball cap at the end of the bar, this does the same this it just varies from car to car as to how it is adjusted. I know you were talking about the E10 with me and I just want to note I don't believe that has adjustable camber from stock. The Sprint 2 does though, so I would say spend the extra cash and get a Sprint 2 if it is an HPI model you want to go with.

Yeah it will do that, as you increase the throttle turn in more and you should be able to balance the car in the drift. Don't forget to practice going the other way as well! I always find its easier to go one way than the other because I always used to drift to the right. If you want to tighten up the circle steer into the drift more. Try and have the car at a really extreme angle. Think Ken Block! To maintain that forward facing rotation is rather hard and a very valuable skill to learn. If you are getting better at controlling the size of the circle, try drifting round a chair leg, you have to be consistent otherwise you won't fit under the chair. 

If you have the space try driving into the drift, spinning around the object a few times then coming out of it in a controlled manner. You can use a figure of 8 set up for this. It also gets you to practice going both ways. You will be DK in no time!

Lol dk hahaha and ya I like the e10 and if needed then will buy the upgrade to fit the car so I can slowly build the car up and learn with it along the way and the steering it's wired will play around with it after work. But the main thing is I am starting to get use to the car and getting the back out it's all fun lool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh ok, I think you might have the flying fish 2 then! I believe the original just came with solid none adjustable links (then again I could be wrong, I have been before!). Those turnbuckles will adjust your camber :D

The top ones for camber.

The lower ones for toe.

As a basic rule...

Add camber - reduce grip.

Add toe - increase grip.

It's a very fine balance and only adjust one thing at a time.

Edited by scratcher

Run it and see how it feels.

If the back end is loose, add toe.

If it's hard to get he rear to step out, add a little camber or reduce toe.

There are other variables though. Adjusting your dampers will change the way it feels too. Winding in pre load will take grip away. Like I said, it's a very fine balance. Just run the car and see what it's doing and go from there.

Only adjust one thing at a time so you can see where the difference has been made and if you don't like it, you'll know how to put it back.

Edited by scratcher