• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas Summit,yes or no?

smeghead28

I have been looking at one of these and I am quite taken :)

The only thing is despite my best judgement I can be a bit of a speed freak and worried I might find it a bit slow.

I appreciate the nature of the vehicle means it is slow at times but seeing as it is basically a Revo I assume it can be made to have a bit more speed without going too mad?

Is there a pinion/spur gear combination that gives it a bit more pep out of the box?

I know I could go brushless at some point but after laying out a fair chunk for the car to begin with that wouldn't be happening straight away.

I would be using lipos instead of the supplied batteries from the start.

The difference between 1st and 2nd is pretty big, but with 2x 2s lipo and the standard kit your only looking at around 18-20mph top speed in 2nd gear. They do a close ratio gear set which makes 1st faster than standard, but I don't think they do a different 2nd gear ratio set.

The standard brushed motor is actually pretty big, no doubt it will pull steeper gearing, but do some research to see what other people have run without running into heat problems first.

Truth be told I would avoid traxxas altogether as the diffs are very poor and weak. I have the brushless revo which is pretty much the same as the summit and she is a diff hungry bitch.

Traxxas are well aware of the issues but dont give a rats ass as long as we keep buying their crappy replacements.

Only time I have ever munched a summit diff was by accidentally locking a diff while it was in motion. on 4s with a 2200 1515 in my summit Ive never had any issues, but then again I did rebuild it and made sure it was perfectly all shimmed up.

They can be a bit slow on stock gearing but you can get load of different gearing options and even use all the revo gears ...... the only difference being the summit has a 2 speed box.

If you are put off by the new prices, second hand is a good option providing you know the owner has looked after it properly, I even know someone selling one atm ;)

• Like 1

lol, you never know whats around the corner...

The thing that you get with the summit is the grin factor, they're not fast and they don't jump well but somehow you always have a blast when you take them out :good:

Yup, comes with shaft dremmelled, wiring harness and motor plate adapter, from Kershaw Designs in the US....oh, and a pinion as well.

Stretch alerted me to them, glad he did....made a fun truck just better :)

Check their recommended pinion size....iirc, a 19t is correct, tho I ordered an 18 and she runs well enough. Have had her out with another summit running the 19t and there was little in it tbh....

Thanks,was a bit shocked to see delivery was half the price of the conversion kit though!

What pinion would be a good size to go for as part of the kit?

you can get a dewalt motor and flatten the shaft yourself and modify the stock mount to fit it