• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help with connectors. What do I need ?

Huktonfonics

Hi guys, my lipo and charger came today, little did I know it's not all plug and play.

Could anyone link me to the correct adapters to get my lipo hooked up to the esc, and also do I just connect the lipo to the charger via the croc clips to the lipo ?

Here's a pic of all the connectors I have.

2vt2m4y.jpg

Thanks

P.s the lipo is a 5600mah / 4s / 60-120c / 14.8v

Well you've got a deans connector on your esc so you may as well stick with those. Some would say they prefer other connectors but there's nothing wrong with them. So you need to get some to put on to your lipo and to make up a charging lead unless you've already got one.

Don't use the croc clips. The banana plugs should plug straight into your charger

The esc is a T-connector plug. The charger only came with croc clips and xt-60,s. The banana plugs are the end that goes in the charger.

Are the ones I listed above suitable ?

If you buy the bullets on banana plugs for the charger, if it was me, I'd take the deans (t-connector) off the esc and re-solder 5.5mm bullets on there. The least connections the better is what I've been told. Probably won't make a big difference but the adaptor from deans to bullets just adds another fail point or at very least, further resistance.

Yes if you don't want to solder new connectors then what you have linked to will work with what you have

Si

Thanks guys. I'll go with chopping off the deans connector and soldering on bullets, I'll do the same with the current charger cable I have too. Saves adding more bits.

Thanks for the help guys, all leads sorted,soldered, and heat shrunk. However i have 1 more question.

I bought a turnigy accucel 6 charger. The lipo is brand new. Should i charge it before first use ? And if so, should i balance or normal charge it ? ( figured out the setting sect )

Edited by Huktonfonics

I don't know if it's right but I read that if you plug in balance lead it balances it regardless. Mine always finishes on 4.20 a cell no matter whether I use balance/normal/fast modes. I've always plugged in the balance lead, more out of habit than anything and I use fast charge @2c quite a lot but not sure what that's doing to the batteries. No one really seems to have concrete info, just general "I only charge at 1c" type advice.

If it's new it should have been delivered at storage charge so will need charging before use anyway. First time around, go for a balance charge, might as well to be sure.

Edited by Smoothybb

Right folks, i balance charged it at 1c for an hour, I'm not sure what some of the readings mean on this charger , but i set it to 4s , 14.8v. On the screen as it charged ( yes i watched it the whole time lol ) it started at 15.3v after the hour it was 15.86v. There was a timer and a 5 digit long counter of some sort that kept going up too. No idea what that is.

Anyway i took it out for half an hour and it was fine, i got one of those warning metres and it kept beeping once everytime i went full pelt. Then after a bit it just kept beeping its arse off, time to recharge. But what was the single beep about ?

Btw im now a convert, eleky is the nuts !!!

Think the 5 digit is how much has been put in, in mA?

Did you charge at 1c or 1a on the screen? Am sure mine only shows amps so you have to work it out. My 2200mah are 2.2 for 1c, 4.4 for 2c etc but like I say my charger reads in amps not c. I've never seen my charger go above 5amp so it's 1c only for bigger car batteries (power pack to low wattage I presume). While charging press right arrow to check individual cell values and left gives a few other things but nothing useful from what I can see.

Not sure what the single beep was, single cell below voltage or that you're getting low on power under load?

It is how much charge is put in. Some of them run on a timer though so it'll will say charged after 2 hours or so. Also some are set to a particular charge 2000mah for example and will say charged at that point. See if you can cancel the timer and cancel the charge level. When the amps are 0 batt is charged.

Am sure mine's factory standard and has 5000mah cutoff and 300mins.

Should be able to check by pressing left arrow, it's the unimportant stuff i mentioned earlier.

Edited by Smoothybb

Ok sorry about the 1c i meant 1a lol. I just balance charged it for 90 mins and the cells are all 3.81v, and it put in 2650 at 1.5a. Should I give it another charge on balance mode ?

Nice one. Thats what I was looking for, it will auto turn off. I turned off the timer and the mah limit. I'll keep my eye on it as its in same room as me while im wrenching on the hyper more :))

I'd suggest upping the amps or you'll be there forever. You're running a 5000mah battery so 1c is 5amps. I've literally just charged two plane batteries 1 @ 4.4amps (2200mah so 2c - accepted charge rate on the label) and 1 @ 2.6amps (2650mah so 1c - even though label states high charge rate). 1x normal charge & 1x fast charge, both finished at 4.2v p/cell. But yes, much beeping when it's full. If you charge at 1c/5amps you should be able to turn the safety cut-offs back on.

Having done further reading, I think I've corrected my thinking that accucell balances every time with the balance lead connected. It just regulates the cells so one doesn't go OTT. Have to go back to balance charging every few cycles but as I say, mine always finishes at 4.2v each cell.

Edited by Smoothybb

I did a partial charge last night after I went out and broke it twice lol. First I bent the centre front drive shaft, and it looked like a boomerang after a wall jumped out in front of me doing half throttle. Straightened that out with a Birmingham Screwdriver ( hammer ), then bounced of a sidewall as I was jumping some steps, and the front left dog bone popped out.

Just did another pack and it ran flawlessly. Temps never went above 145f on motor, esc was cool as a cucumber.

Only thing is, I'm not quite understanding how to set the throttle/brake on the esc. The brakes are pretty gnarly, and don't do an awful lot. I don't have a program card.

On a final note.....Need more batteries !!! And a decent power supply for the charger. The one I got with it farts at 3.0+ A