• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Gmade Sawback.

For a little while now I've quite fancied a change in direction with RC, I really enjoy my 8ight-Te but I'd like something different, I was looking at the Gmade R1 and watched Jangs review on it, but after watching more reviews and more running videos now, I've actually been put a bit more off it.

I was looking on Amains and stumbled upon the Sawback.

I've worked it out, to buy the kit and the Tekin FXR 55t crawler combo in the UK would be around the

Edited by Oh How Original
  • Like 1

The Tekin combo is a good choice but personally i just use a bog standard 27T ESC and run any 55T crawler with it ( I go for the rebuildable ones because i find them much better then normal canned motors). Normally priced between

• Like 1

Cheers for the tips, I was looking at that combo just because Amain do it, I fancy something decent and didn't really catch anything else that caught my eye.

I was also going for a 3s just because that's what Tekin recommends when running a 35T or higher motor, so again, thanks for the heads up, could save me a few quid and have less weight up high.

I understand a few people had issues with the leaf springs being too firm, but what mod seems to work is by taking the centre one out and just having the long one and short one, it seems to really give the thing a much better ride (obviously can't speak from experience, just what others have said in videos and such)

Is that something you've tried at all? How is yours setup? I understand the SCX10 is probably better at everything, but I really just fancy something different and much prefer the leaf spring arrangement as well, as a whole, the Sawback just really really appeals to me.

Also just so I get the right kind of setup in mind, could you suggest an actual ESC and motor? And yeah I'd like a drag brake and such, I've read those are also pretty important.

Really appreciate your input! :)

Meh Tekin lied :P 3's lipo is not really vital - I've used a tatty old 4600mah Nimh which gives me over 30 minutes alone! Crawling and scaling stuff tends to drain less battery i've found.Something like a 6000mah 2's lipo will give you awesome run times.Buy a few packs and you'll be able to run the whole day :lol:

I personally would consider something like this and this .It'll run bang on at fraction of the price,but if you do want to splash out the Tekin is perfect. Couple of years ago they used to sell  Novak Rooster 45T combo.Totally loved that had drag brake and everything else required.Sadly they no longer make them and have been replaced with the Novak Goat combo (which is also another one to consider!)

I've not done any mods to my leaf springs as of yet,but removing the 1/2 and leaving a single spring would make a difference i reakon - There's a guy online whos cut the leafs in the centre and mounted one side.The flex is amazing :lol:

• Like 1

Now that's a very tempting combo when you consider the price!

I did fancy splashing out, instead of the Alturn jobby, I just bought a lovely Savox 1283... May as well overkill while I'm at it :P

And thanks for the tip, I wasn't sure because of the torque if the extra bit of power from the LiPo was needed, I know a lot of folk run 2s in SCX10's but being the Tekin setup, I've not actually seen one run, so wasn't overly sure.

I still think the Sawback is the front runner anyway, despite not being quite as able as say an SCX10 or even a Wraith (which I've also looked at in the past and I'm looking at again)

Pity that motor isn't in stock at the moment as well, could have ordered the combo so it's ready for whatever kit I happen to buy.

I do have one question, do they come with program cards? I've never used a brushed ESC before (well one suited to a brushed motor should I say) and wondering how you set them up? I have plenty of LiPos buzzers for the LiPos as well.

Hey dude,

I just tried the leaf spring set up on the Sawback. A touch softer now compared to having the full set up! Not as flexi as the SCX still,but it has definitely improved :good:

Brushed ESC,is literally plug and play - Sometimes (depending on the ESC),it'll need a one touch set up (press the button on the ESC and programme with your transmitter). Probably takes no more then 2-3 minutes if that! 

Thanks guy's.  I learned a bit here and fancy a Sawback now.  I'll go the ModelSport way though.  They not let me down yet, only on Axial spares Grrrrrr!

Thanks guy's.  I learned a bit here and fancy a Sawback now.  I'll go the ModelSport way though.  They not let me down yet, only on Axial spares Grrrrrr!

If I decide against the Tekin setup then I might buy from MS as well, I was only buying from the states because of the saving on the package as a whole over UK prices.

But if I go for cheaper electrics, they will come from MS anyway so I'll order the Sawback there too.

Makes more sense :P