• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Young drivers insurance advice

animal47

I am hoping that some of you have been in the same boat so can offer advice.

My daughter is at a point where she is ready for her test so will be wanting a car but insurance quotes are doing my head in, I have spent hours on comparison sites trying to get decent quotes and so far the cheapest I have come up with is about a grand on a bloody Daewoo matiz 800cc and even that is only if paid upfront , lowest quote with instalments available is around

give admiral/diamond and elephant a go.

i personally think 1600 is average for someone who has just passed and not held their license long. my girlfriend who has just passed her driving is paying around 1400 for a 10month policy on a yaris 1l and shes 21 yr old.

if shes getting a quote for her to be the main driver and policy holder, adding someone who is older and has driven for a while should defiantly reduce the premiums. only other things is to get a tracker box installed or have her wait a few months as she will have held her license for longer

Only thing i could suggest is to try cars you would never see a 17 year old in. For instance it was cheaper for me to get insured on my current car, Rover 75 2.5 V6, as it was my mums old Honda Jazz which was only a 1.4. Could even get insured on a 4.0 Jag XJ for the same. Not suggesting a jag is a realistic alternative but it gives you an idea that there is cheaper deals out there, if you pick a bit more of a random car :lol:

All of my best quotes were with Aviva, General Accident and Only young drivers, the latter of the two are both underwritten by Aviva anyway

• Like 1

Join the Institute of Advance Motorists (IAM), check in your area for a local IAM group.  It will make your daughter a safer driver and once you have passed their test - you can get cheaper car insurance and other great offers  

:)

Edited by Jaycool

Try Tesco insurance.I passed 4 years ago and still with them! Really good deals :good:

on go compare I found tescos was almost the cheapest on any car I looked at. I got the price to around
  • Like 1

The cheapest I would say is coop young learners insurance, all my brothers mates and himself are on it, I can count 5+ people! they have from new golfs to Astra's etc 1.6 1.8l engines and there insurance is no higher then 1.6k.

My bro is 18 and his insurance is 1,500

It used to be the case that if you added a young driver to the parents car/policy it worked out cheaper but the problem with that is they wouldn't earn that all important NCB and if they had an accident the parents policy would be affected/go up.

Yea because people would get insured on stupid cars as a mate did an fiesta rs turbo with his parents and was only 1.4k and just passed his test. So they shut it down and made it more expensive for other people. 3rd party is normally higher too, black boxes are not good unless ou plan to drive like a 80 year old as any sharp breaking or turning or even speeding is noted down as a bad point also they monitor how you use the car as in miles you do as to what you quoted.

Best off shopping around for cars see what is liked and then run them all through comparison websites for insurance.

As has been mentioned. Think outside the box when you pick your car. Engine size is irrelevant.

Groups mean nothing, as insurance companies have their own internal grouping system based on set criteria they determine, such as risk statistics.

My first proper car was an ST24, 2.5l V6. Paid

Edited by GunnersRC

Its not done on one incident, e.g avoiding a crash. Its done on repeated hard bringing, excessive cornering speeds etc. and yes, they do charge you for miles, so you have to be observant of how far you drive, and if you are going to go over you have to by more. Fair enough.

Its saved me