• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

AXN Floater Jet

Finished my new AXN floater and been waiting for the wind to drop. Today was the day so i took it for its maiden flight this morning :) Only had one plane before and it was crap so i was a bit apprenhensive but it was great :thumbsup:

IMAG4715_zpseiuzordj.jpg

I have been flying my Quad alot and fancied a plane, read some good reviews so ordered it from Hobbyking.
Ordered the 30A ESC and 2200kv motor with it that was a recommended upgrade from stock. The batteries from my quad fit so thats a bonus.

Took it out this morning, took off from the ground and hand launched it and i love it! Flies around at 1/4 throttle no problem or open it up for some pretty good speed. Climb up and cut the power and it glides around no problem. 15mins and it still had plenty of power left.

Looking forward to the next flight :)

Is that a before or after pic?  :yes:

The foamie gliders are a great intro as you've found. Glad you got it up and down in one piece and the urge to fly is still there. What size battery you using? I had my bixler up for about 1/2 hr at the weekend and still had over 1/2 2200mah left. Get a keychain or wingcam on it so you can watch your flights back, I find it really relaxing after being out flying.

Is that a before or after pic?  :yes:

The foamie gliders are a great intro as you've found. Glad you got it up and down in one piece and the urge to fly is still there. What size battery you using? I had my bixler up for about 1/2 hr at the weekend and still had over 1/2 2200mah left. Get a keychain or wingcam on it so you can watch your flights back, I find it really relaxing after being out flying.

Haha before pic but it still looked the same after :thumbsup:

I couldn

Successful landings FTW  :thumbsup:

I know what you mean, I was itching to take mine out every chance I got but have calmed down a bit now. Good weather for it at the moment, good lift about and every so often you find some unexpected thermals, I'm using the same batts, plus a few others but also have a zippy 2650 for around 20% extra flights but it changes the COG and barely fits in. Goes in the phoenix a treat, that thing really does float!

Only problem with sticking a gopro on is how/where to mount. Do HK do a mount for it? It will mess with the COG though, you might be able to balance it out with battery further forward or adding some weight up front but I would expect it to need some tweaking.

Some nice photos there, good day for flying. I can just about see me mate's flat on one of those.

I see the lido is looking a lot better these days. It was looking pretty battered and uninviting last time I saw it.

Some nice photos there, good day for flying. I can just about see me mate's flat on one of those.

I see the lido is looking a lot better these days. It was looking pretty battered and uninviting last time I saw it.

cheers, was a nice morning.Yeh they just spent a lot on the pool as it was hammered by the storms earlier in the year....

Nice video. Not sure I'd have the confidence to put it over the sound! Saying that, any plans to overfly drake's or is it a bit far for LOS?

Nice landing, smooth and right at your feet, I think I'll be taking one or two of mine up there next time I'm down visiting my mate.

Was a little nerve racking at first. I got as close to Drakes as i felt comfortable going. The Gopro makes it look further, looked closer from the ground. Took it out over Mt Batten last night, was a cracking evening. 

mtbatten3_zps28d4f80d.jpg
mtbatten_zps58eb685f.jpg
mtbatten4_zps3acf1147.jpg
mtbatten2_zpsb8e969f1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm thinking i want a glider now lol

So is it safe to say that when its too windy for a normal plane i could get the glider out or does it still have to be a fairly calm day?

I have flown gliders with my grandad as a kid but i cant remember the conditions

I take AXN out when its windy and i wouldnt fly the smaller planes.  Its pretty versatile, cheap too. Also takes a bit of a hammering and carries the camera no problem.
Never had a proper glider for slope soaring but yes you will need some wind, fairly new to flying myself.

Imle, there's two types of wind! One is a constant wind that you get on/near slopes which makes slope soaring so much fun. Most things will fly in that, just check out the HK videos on youtube where they test all sorts for slope soaring ability. The other is gusting wind which sucks big time for most things. My bixler, which is a lot like the axn, still suffers in gusting wind due to it's low weight. However, if you cut the ends of the wings off, the stability improves no end. I'm going to maiden something called a splash1bogey in the coming days, that's meant to like still or windy conditions.

In general, heavier planes seem to fair better in windier conditions and also larger planes from what I've seen of mates' planes out flying. However it seems to depend more on design rather than just size/weight.

Sweet well i think when payday comes along im going to invest in a glider for those windy days :) without being biast however you spell it :) what would you go for the bixler or the axn?

The best of the bixlers, the 1.1, good luck finding one. I'm not even sure whacking one on backorder with HK will get you one anymore. The 2 needs a few things doing to it to make it a reliable flyer but once sorted, is meant to be a very stable platform. The 3 (brand new) still seems a bit untested all seems quite good from what I've seen and is labelled for a beginner.

Ok, so got home friday afternoon and without too much thought cut off the wing tips! Going to make them so i can put them back on if i want to but to be honest after testing it i doubt i will bother.
It flies great :)

IMAG5463_zpsjbs8smon.jpg

Much more of a fun flyer now I'm guessing? I'm keeping my cut-down sport wings on the bixler for the time being. Loving how much more agile it is. Need a 7xsomething prop to give it a bit more oomph.

Has it lost much in the glide? Mine has fo sho, doesn't drop like a stone but doesn't sit up there quite as well. I was surprised initially that just cutting the tips could change its characteristics so much.

Edited by Smoothybb

• 4 weeks later...